Friday, June 27, 2014

Fiber Arts Friday - Week 26 2014

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!  this week has been another busy one.  I finished the Saori Woven Scarf that I started at the beginning of the month.  I really need to focus on finishing the project on my big loom before I start the next one on the lap loom.

Here is my newest creation.  It will be for sale.  I have really been trying to focus on new items for upcoming shows.  I also heard from one of the mills I work with and I should have a bunch of roving coming back soon.  Squeal!  Expect new colorways in my Suri/Merino/Silk blends.

Introducing, Lobster Red!  I warped it with various shades of red and burgundy in wool then woven with a variegated merino sock yarn, possum/merino yarn and a wool yarn.  It has a wonderful drape and, as you can see from the photos, looks great wrapped as a scarf.

The scarf has woven slits in the fabric.  I've been experimenting with this technique.  It really adds to the way the fabric drapes.  I know, I keep saying drape but that is the best way to describe the beauty of it.

That's all I have for this week.  An update on our little goat.  She is healing and getting stronger.  She ended up with a parasite that the vet couldn't figure out how she got it.  It's typically found on cow farms. (We haven't been near one)  Luckily no other members of our herd had it.  I'm wondering if it was from one of our trips to the vet or when people have came to visit the goats.  It's so hard to speculate so instead we just deal and remind ourselves that the farm's biosecurity can not be lax.  It really put her through a mess but she is doing better.

We made ice cream from our goat milk this week.  It was absolutely amazing!!!!  In the process, we ended up having to replace the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker that we got as a wedding gift.  Apparently it wasn't going to make it to 16 years.  Doh!  The new machine arrived and within 30 minutes we had our own ice cream.

We have more more week until the 4H Fair.   I can't believe that it's already the end of June.  Yikes!  With the start of fair, it will also be the beginning of the Tour de Fleece. I'm excited to start the spinning chatter.

Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs



19 comments:

  1. Great new scarf, Andrea! I love the red...and the 'perforations'!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Very Scottish tartan looking and seeing that I am half Scottish.....

    Best,
    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2014/06/mohair-blanket-with-daisies.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andrea, I just discovered your blog and would like to join your fiber arts Friday. I crochet, do wet felting, and I am in the process of trying to decide what kind of spinning wheel to buy. I would to learn how to spin art yarn. I live 25 miles north of Muskegon Michigan. I have a blog http://cjstitchingandblooms.blogspot.com I am interested in joining the Michigan Felt Group could you give me any information. Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday! I'm from Muskegon originally. Love to see another West Michigan Fiber Artist.

      Delete
  4. (Had a blip when comment was submitted, so ... may be duplicated.)

    Delightful scarf: Lovely colors, wonderful fibers, beautiful weaving. Well done!

    Barbara @ Knitting | Work in Progress
    http://knittingwip.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the red!!!! That scarf is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I love love love this scarf, the slits are so cool. I guess you can even wear it with one end tucked through one of the slits to keep it in place? ... you made your own ice cream? droooool... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those slits allow the drape to lay different but yes, you could loop the fabric through the slits. So many wonderful options.

      Delete
  7. The scarf turned out beautifully... I love red on red. :-)

    Glad miss goat is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your goat is doing better. Parasites are scary! The scarf is awesome, of course. I'm wanting to spin something before the Tour, to gear up, but I can't figure out what I can finish in that ever-diminishing amount of time ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lobster Red is beautiful! I also love that hippie yarn from a previous post. Will you be selling any?
    So glad your goat is better, too.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be selling these items. Last week's yarn is already on my Etsy Shop and some of the finished goods will be added soon.

      Delete
  10. its beautiful, thanks for sharing. I have made slow progress on my holiday socks this week so not posting but will pop round and visit instead:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry Linked the wrong post...Oops?
    Here is the right one http://kitenswithmittens.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/working-on-my-birthday-present/
    Willow4

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with everyone else - that scarf really turned out super! I've been catching glimpses of it on your instagram feed, and I do love the colors. Also glad to hear your poor animal is on the mend ... but no photos of the ice cream? Did you all eat it that fast?!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to take photos of the ice cream but...we did eat it up pretty fast. Don't worry, we'll be making more ;-)

      Delete
  13. You have created a very lovely scarf. Hugs judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goat milk ice-cream sounds awesome! I really wanna try that. The scarf is just GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete