Friday, June 13, 2014

Fiber Arts Friday - Week 24 2014

Can you believe that it's Week 24 in 2014 for Fiber Arts Friday? Wowza!  It's been another busy week of creating projects here on my farm.  First, I warped my small loom for a scarf.  It's a Saori Scarf called Lobster Red in "honor" of my first sunburn of the year.  Seriously, when am I going to learn to lather up the sunscreen? You would think the red in my hair and pale skin would be a major hint.  Doh!  Last weekend we worked outside all day getting the cover off of our pool and preparing it to open along with me dyeing another few pounds of yarn and fiber.

The scarf is going to be around 80 inches long.  I have no design in mind other than letter the yarn speak to me.  I really do love the Saori philosophy and weaving techniques.  I still need to finish the yardage on my big loom but the ease of the loom just sitting on my lap keeps the relaxation at a higher level.  In the first photo, I am weaving a slit and this second photo, the technique is called clasped weft.

I also spent quite a bit of time spinning.  Before the sun set last night, I finished this 8oz Worsted Weight yarn donated from two of my Alpacas, Dude and Metallica.   ended up with 368 yards, 9WPI, 2 ply, 8oz.  Alpaca (Huacaya and Suri), Merino and Silk.   This photo of prior to soaking and setting the twist but I was eager to give you a photo.

Tomorrow our 4H group is hosting a small competition with two other clubs.  My children have been working hard with Phantom of the Wonder and Nick Fury to get them show ready.  Hopefully the Alpacas behave.  This will be their first time in the ring.  Our club, which is about five years old, finally has our own t-shirts.  We belong to a larger club but refer to ourselves as the Musketeers Alpaca Group.  My wonderful childhood friend who is now an amazing photographer and graphic designer took a photo I sent her of my son working with one of the Alpacas and turned it into a "any kid" silhouette.  I am in love with how it worked out.  Her blog is Can't Remember Diddly!

Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs


7 comments:

  1. My goodness you've been busy! The tone on tone red is lovely, am looking forward to seeing this evolve. Good luck with the alpaca show, sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luvin' that scarf...gorgeous color! Have a great weekend.

    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2014/06/knit-some-sweet-hats.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely to see the alpacas out enjoying the sunshine:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great show!

    I love the yarn and the red... sorry for the burn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's going to be a lovely scarf! Love the name- and now I'm craving lobster. Well, I always crave lobster. LOL. I feel for you- we were at the beach last weekend and have major tans (despite sunblock). We indians boil, not broil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that red weaving, Ms. Rock Lobster. :) Have a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get burned every year too...completely fried from the Greenfield Village trip! I'm always amazed by how much you can get done in any given week.

    ReplyDelete