Friday, October 5, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - She Sews?

Oops, I did it again!  Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday, the what else is she going to do post ;-)  Sew?  After complaining for what seems like years that I am afraid of my sewing machine and sewing...I tricked myself into completing a project with the evil machine that tried to eat my fingers.

In my Walking Dead Group on Ravelry, we decided to pay homage to the Pillow fight/fort episodes on Community, a NBC comedy for anyone who has never seen it.  We decided for the season premier this next week, we would all make a pillow for our virtual pillow fight across the world.  Unlike many of my Ravelry friends, I decided to incorporate weaving into my design instead of just knitting or crochet.

I learned to sew back when I was a teenager from my grandmother who was a fantastic seamstress.  Her first (and only) project for me was a full skirt with pleats along with a button and zipper.  Can you imagine why I am afraid to sew.  No easing in with a simple project or anything.  Yes, it freaked me out.  I have attempted to work with the evil machine a few times in my life making valances for the windows and even a duvet for my bed but then it would get buried under piles for anything and everything I could find.  I am learning that unless I want to weave scarves or blankets the rest of my life, I am going to have to sew my woven fabric.

It scared me to death to take my sewing machine to my weaving especially since it was using my handspun yarn.  I spent the better part of Sunday cutting my fabrics and pinning the fabric together so it would be ready to sew.  A lot of cussing was happening too.  Yes, the family avoided me in my studio.

I have some mistakes and learned from this experience.    I think next time I will get some of that sticky binding tape stuff (that is the technical term, right?) and try that.  I will also make sure to keep my weaving on the top so I have a better line to follow.  I also noticed that the evil machine would not let me zig zag.  I used a "straight" line stitch and wonder what a different stitch would do.  Maybe I should take it in and get a tune up (hmmm, imagine thinking that idea up as the evil machine left the room with an odd burning smell)

My kids love the pillow and the dogs seem to love it too. I bought a couple of yards of each fabric so even if my woven fabric is different, I can still have three matching pillows.

I'm not promising that I will sew clothing or any fancy items yet but, working on some basic straight line sewing (is that what you call it) will get me more comfortable with the evil machine to try more projects.  I'd love to sew some woven purses and other items but...I need more practice.

Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts.  Thank you to everyone who visits each week.

Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs




18 comments:

  1. I like the color combinations! I like the flowers and the plaids together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, braving that cruel machine to make such a pretty thing. If you have the manual it will show you where to oil the machine (with Singer oil or Tri-Flow, never 3-in-1 please) and that will take care of your "burning smell". It will probably also fix your non zig-zagging issue. Let me know if you need any direction and I'd be glad to save you $75-$100 on that tune-up. Have a great weekend and don't be afraid of that Singer. It will work hard for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a fight but the pillow was worth it! It really shows off your weaving. I've borrowed my mums sewing machine as she never uses it. I'm still too scared to get it out of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cushion is lovely. I just don't think there is enough weaving around. I also have sewing intentions, but find it is so much easier to knit. You can just pick it up and do a little, where for sewing you seem to have to clear an hour or two,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your courage to tackle that evil machine! Lol, I learnt to sew as a teenager and I tried to make myself a shirt once, but promptly lost my enthusiasm when I discovered that somehow I attached the left sleeve to the right side seam!! Love your cushion though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for tackling the challenge! We will look forward to a few mor sewing posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every few summers (well maybe a little more than that), I get the urge to sew, buy a cheap machine, get intimidated and give up. Then we move, I giveaway the machine, get the urge again and buy another one. Same thing happens.
    Wish I was as brave as you are! I'd have saved some money and have a bunch of skirts (that's what I wanted the machine for.)
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea--Congratulations! You did very well...but I agree that a sewing machine 'tune up' is certainly required...plus a new needle for every project. (Yes, you heard me! It's amazing what a new needle will do for your confidence!!) :) XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pillow turned out so beautiful! I have one of those fussy sewing machines too, it sews fine when I could care less (like a quick mending job) but when I have a good project I'm sewing on, disaster hovers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your first sewing project was a skirt with pleats, buttons and a zipper.. no wonder you're intimidated.

    But it sounds like you have some good advice to make your machine happier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pillow, it is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pillow (and the weaving!), but you won't see me getting any urge to tackle a sewing maching (which I do not, fortunately, own). I learned how to sew in school - enough said about *that*. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness you make me laugh! I can just imagine you against the machine! I actually get along pretty well with my machine. We've had moments for sure, but the more time we spend together the happier we are. I venture to say the same *might* be true for you...
    Most important - the pillow looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another skill I wish I had... sewing! :) Happy FaF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can certainly sew! I'm very afraid of sewing machine, and hand sewing would take away some serious knitting time. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pillow look super. I have a stormy relationship with my sewing machine too, it alwys seems to go wrign at the crucial moment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you are ready to steek a sweater!

    ReplyDelete