Friday, October 12, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - La Vitre Done!

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday! This truly is my favorite day of the week where I can read all of the wonderful fiber arts blogs that link in each week so whether you knit, spin, sew, felt, crochet, quilt, embroider, weave, cross-stitch, etc...share your adventures.

This week I am sharing the finished La Vitre scarf that I started back last January.  I have a love/hate relationship with the yarn which is a Twisted Sister yarn.  It's beautiful and feels yummy but was a pain to knit with.  The pattern is a beautiful lace pattern written by Voie de Vie and has a lot of YO so when you have a sticky yarn...you curse a lot (or at least I do).

It was all worth it in the end.  I still am amazed at the magic of blocking PLUS I added beads to my knitting for the first time ever.  I used the floss method to string the beads on.  It's a bit tedious but it worked.

I attempted to take some photos of adding the beads.

While researching ways to add beads, this was what I found would work best for me for the small amount of beads that would be added to each end.  As a side note, I ended up tearing back the first rows I knitted back in January and knitting them again so I could add the beads.  I just didn't understand the instructions to crochet them in.  I intend to knit this scarf again with my very own Alpaca like the pattern called for.  I know I will be happier using Alpaca.

If you get a chance, check out the Voie de Vie patterns on Ravelry.  She has some great knit and crochet projects.  Seriously, I give it a Wonder Why Gal Thumb's Up!  Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts!

Fiber Arts Friday ! 

To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs


23 comments:

  1. Andrea--Your new scarf was worth all the work.
    I love the colourway and beads!
    It's great to see a cute photo of you, too, my friend! (Must be chilly in Michigan already?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beads! And Sister Bear is a wonderful model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I've been kicking around the idea of adding beads recently myself. The scarf is gorgeous, and way to go on finishing it instead of letting it languish, hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your LaVitre was totally worth the effort, it's beautiful. That's a great illustration of how you added the beads too. Thanks for that tip. Hope you have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh don't you have yarn that wont cooperate. It was worth the hassle though by the looks of it. Very pretty! It looks like it flows nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scarf! Love the beads too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful scarf! I've never added beads although its been on my list for a long time, must give a try sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job and I'm sure the work to add the beads was worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scarf is done in lovely colours. I've never tried adding beads to a project, perhaps one of these days. I'm joining in for the first time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding them using floss looks VERY interesting. I've always done all the stringing before hand. charming scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The finished scarf is lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I have never ever seen that method of adding beads. It seems to make so much more sense than stringing them on at the beginning...especially if you only have a few beads to add. This one inspires me to give it a shot. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute scarf. I have yet to try adding beads. I've been a bit intimidated I suppose. Maybe I should add that to my knitting resolutions :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh beads!!! I love that idea! I need to venture out into stuff like that. I tend to stay with what I am comfortable with but there is so much other there to explore.

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful scarf... and oooh, beads! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you stuck with it because it came out well. The yarn really shows itself off after blocking! And you seemed to negotiate the beads just fine - no matter the method.

    I hope your friend liked her birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The scarf came out very pretty! and you have the best model too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love seeing all of these blogs! I have linked my pattern for a water bottle cozy, it can also be used for a bottle of wine as a gift wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The scarf looks great. I have just tried this method for beading and found it effective but rather fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm always in awe of people who add beads to their knitting - it seems like a lot of work, but the results definitely are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Something not yet tried-you have motivated me.thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Knitting with beads is SO much fun! And they make a pleasant clicking noise on a scarf, when you walk!

    ReplyDelete