Friday, September 28, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Cobblestone Cowl Confession

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Now that Autumn is in full swing, are you inspired to start new projects, complete projects or simply ignore your growing stash of yarn to enjoy the cooler weather?  Me?  All of the above!

First, I finally finished my second Cobblestone Cowl.  The very first one that I knitted last April turned out super sassy except for one minor major detail...the bind off.  There was 330 stitches to bind off and even though I went up two needle sizes and knitted loose, it still was too tight and my cowl ended up not being balanced and kept twisting on itself.

Now using wonderwhygal reasoning, I decided that it was easier and less time consuming to cast on a new cowl with leftover yarn than to tear out 330 stitches, pick up said stitches then attempt to bind off again.  Well, a couple pair of socks and multiple skeins of yarn later, I finally finished my cowl with the help of my dear Mama Melissa.  Yup!  A trip into the yarn shop, she showed me a super great stretchy bind off.  I don't know the name of it or who came up with it but whoever it is deserves a super huge medal.

I hope my photos show it properly but essentially you  YO to the front then bind off.  You can use the same needle you knit with.  Isn't that awesome!  Super easy!

I also have my yarn set for my Rockefeller shawl which will be cast on next week once the next round of Nerd Wars begins.  It shall be my dissertation.  One skein of Grandma's Blessing from Briar Rose and one skein of Team Precious from Tale and Tendral (who happens to be a fellow Team Precious member).  It will be an interesting knit using the two variegated yarns but the two yarns are just different enough, I should get a nice contrast...I hope.  Yes, I knit a gauge swatch.   I know, it's scary but I'm glad I did not only to check the needle size but also to see how the two colors worked up together.

I am also ready to ply a bunch of bobbins of my handspun so next week I'll have some finished yarns to share.  Now...it's your turn!  Share your adventures in Fiber Arts.  Thank you for visiting my blog, leaving your comments and participating in Fiber Arts Friday.

Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs

18 comments:

  1. You have been a very busy girl! Your cowl looks super sassy. Great yarn choice for the Rockefeller. Can't wait to see that finished...dissertation is a great description for that project LOL. It looks like it will be quite the undertaking. Best to you. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cowl came out amazing! And your shawl is going to be wicked sassy! I love the colors you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to make a swatch for the Rockefeller! I remember me and a lot of others were running out of yarn, because we skipped that and just used any old fingering and not the A Verb for Keeping Warm which has a superlong yardage for a fingering yarn... But it's a superlovely shawl and I'm sure you will enjoy knitting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My go to stretchy bind off is from a Knitty Tutorial (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/FEATjssbo.php) called Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. I haven't found a stretchier bind off yet, but I've only been looking a couple of years, so there are probably plenty out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm another fan of Jeny;'s surprisingly stretchy bind off (which sounds like it might be what you used) - super stretchy and awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the stretchy bind off method, it sounds really good, I'll definitely try that next time! Love your choice of yarns for the Rockfeller, it's going to be a gorgeous one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow super busy!! The cowl looks fantastic and I love the colours of the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If that swatch is any indication, your shawl is going to be very interesting. Looking forward to seeing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The two yarns look good together. Good luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice looking cowl. Very eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cowl looks amazing and thank you so much for telling us about the stretchy bind off, is sounds wonderful!!
    Have a lovely weekend Andrea
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cowl looks great on you. The yarns for Rockfeller looking very interesting together. I'd never think of putting two variegated yarns together, your swatch proves it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wasn't sure...I hope so. I guess we'll find out soon enough. You know me, always willing to try something different.

      Delete
  13. The cowl looks good-I need to learn that bind off-mine are always too tight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Andrea - a little late to the fibery blog dance this week, but better late than never. :)

    I am super proud to see that swatch - oh yeah. And your cowl came out great. Don't you feel such a sense of accomplishment?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am enjoying autumn, looking forward to lighting the log stove. The cowl looks great, looking forward to seeing your yarns

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Cobblestone Cowl looks awesome! I love the colors and drape. Autumn is such a wonderful time to knit. I am feeling newly inspired by some old WIP''s. Great job with the swatching for the shawl. The two yarns look wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANKS for the bind-off-loosely tip! I have such trouble with that, particularly with socks!

    ReplyDelete