Sunday, August 26, 2012

Spinning and Bagpipes

Yesterday I spent the day demonstrating spinning with members of the Weaver's Guild of Kalamazoo.  I've been a member for a couple of years and I enjoy opportunities to spin in public and educate the community.  It's a different sort of a day doing this versus demonstrating spinning while selling my product.

Sometimes, it's nice to step away from being a salesperson and just be an artist.  Wait!  What did I just say?  Yeah, I can't help myself and I am always promoting my farm and it's products...it's in my blood.




Anyways, instead of taking my wheel I brought my collection of drop spindles.  It's hard to believe that just a couple of years ago I didn't even know how to spin and now I am teaching others the art of spinning.  I used two of my new spindles, the Trindle and my new Top Whorl.  I am in love with both of these spindles.  Their spin time, balance and over all beauty are just amazing.

On my Trindle, I was spinning a wool blend that was given to me at the Michigan Fiber Festival when I bought the Trindle.  It drafts great and has a nice look.  I can already tell that I am going to be spending a lot of time with this spindle.
 

My new top whorl, crafted by Ken Ledbetter, is so beautiful.  Again, it has beautiful balance and a nice spin time along with being stunning to look at.  I decided to spin from my Boromir batt.  Now if only I could wrap the yarn all pretty on the shaft like other spinners do.

  
The festival was great.  I loved watching the Highland Games, enjoying the men in their kilts, listening to the bagpipes and watching the dancers.  It was a gorgeous afternoon to spend spinning and enjoying that part of my Scottish heritage that runs somewhere in the family tree.  No, I don't intend to weave the Morrison tartan anytime soon although the colors would be spectacular to work with.




I do have to give a big Huzzah to the ladies who participated in the games too.  I don't think I could whip those long posts very far like they did.


5 comments:

  1. The spinning is looking might-y good. Glad you had fun! The scots will do that to you, won't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trindles are sooooo great! I have one, and I have done my best spinning on it! I hope you love yours as much! I have a lighter weight one that is great for alpaca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's hat a great day, it looks like fun! I love your spindles, the Trindle in on my list, I've heard so many positive comments about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a Scottish Festival

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spinning is looking great. Looks like s fun day

    ReplyDelete