Friday, August 3, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Sock Put

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday, the Ravellenics Edition!  Yup, the Olympics are in full swing which means we are having fun on Ravelry with our Fiber Arts Sporting Events.    After a marathon month of spinning for the Tour de Fleece, I am finding the knitter inside and making two projects for two different teams.

The first event I am working on is the Sock Put.  Yes, like Shot Put but instead of hurling a ball 30+ Feet (yes, this photo is from me in high school track - a bazillion years ago), I am working on knitting a pair of socks during the Olympics Games.  So far...well, I could really use a vacation day or two from work to get on task but since I'm a good gal, I am just hitting the heel on my first sock and will simply take my chances on the finish line deadline.  If I were to finish this pair by Sunday, I could possibly make the schedule.  We'll see.

The second project is a baby hat for a co-worker.  I won't be posting any photos beyond this one nor will I tell what it will become (unless you can take a good guess) until after the baby shower next week.  I am using 100% Cotton Made 100% in the USA.  This is for the Baby Dressage Event.  Which Olympic event this is supposed to mimic?  The horse event that has been in the news due to Mitt Romney.  Yeah, hmmpf, that's all I will say.

I will be completing a skein or two for the Handspun Heptathlon but I am denying myself my spinning wheel and spindles until I get at least one sock completed.  Now...share your adventures in Fiber Arts!  As always, thank you for visiting my blog and sharing your Fiber Arts Blog.


Fiber Arts Friday !

To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs

17 comments:

  1. Andrea, I messed up my html ... can you please remove #3? I'm sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday! Looks like you're working hard on your sock, quite an ambitious one for sure. I love the color combination on it. Has to be difficult staying away from the spinning but that's a great way to assure that your sock will be completed. Looks like you've started an Owlie Sack. I've heard that's a nice quick knit that has a great presentation factor. Good luck and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love your action shot!! Your sock is looking beautiful, looks like an intricate pattern ... my event projects are all tv projects ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the shot put pic!!!!! Was that the only track and field sport in which you participated? And I'm definitely right there with you on the Mitt Romney thing. :) We should see a little more gymnastics, although the big events are done now (go USA girls go!).

    Love the colors on the sock, and of course will look forward to seeing your spin. It's a treat for us too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shot and Discus were my main events. I always/typically took top three at meets and invitationals but always choked at Regionals so I never went to state. I messed my knee up breaking the school record but it didn't count because I scratched (and tore my knee). We have our 20th class reunion tomorrow so these memories just totally went fresh for me ;-)

      Delete
  5. Andrea--Look at your HAIR!! Thanks for sharing your 'blast from the past'!! (I can see that you've always been a cutie!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair was all one length down to the middle of my back and I had a spiral perm. Yeah, it took hours to dry.

      Delete
  6. Ah - ha ha. Sock put. You guys are so clever! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sock pattern seems very intense..but beautiful...Dressage & Mitt...Don't even want to go there..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your shot put picture, very impressive! I associate the horse event with Zara Phillips, a bit more pleasant thought ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great game projects! This is the first time I did NOT participate in the Ravelympics... and now I'm kinda wishing I did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sock is looking lovely, great colour choices

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sock, as always I am in awe of colour-work. Have fun with the Ravelympics!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always a joy to be here and to have the chance to share my wool work, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still amazed by your list for the Ravellenics. I think just one sock would be more than enough for two weeks of work. ;-)

    I'm recovering from my lack of internet since Friday morning. I'm sure it will be a few days before I get caught up with everyone.

    ReplyDelete