Saturday, August 11, 2012

Andy, How does your garden grow?

We started to harvest some of our garden tonight.  It was finally cool enough to be outside without breaking a sweat.  This was our first attempt at a garden and we are quite pleased with the results, especially since the majority of our Summer was/is drought.

After two months of no rain, we got about 2 inches in the last few days.  Everything is starting to green up although our pastures are beyond help. We are still struggling to find hay for our herd.  The farms we usually get hay from won't be able to sell to us this year so we have been scrambling  to figure out what to do.  All Summer long the rain went North or South of us.  It was so frustrating.

Thanks to sprinklers, we were able to keep the majority of our garden in bloom.  Many items didn't survive and some are still struggling but I have plenty to be thankful for.  First, I can not say enough for using Alpaca poo in your fertilizer.  Look at my Radishes.  The small one is what you typically see and the big one is what the majority of our garden grew.  Talk about super size.  We didn't spray the garden with any pesticide so we lost some of our crop nor did we add any additional fertilizers except for mulching the Alpaca compost into the soil.

Our vegetables fared much better than the fruits.  We didn't have a good bean harvest and our carrots were non-existent.  I only have one Pepper plant that actually produced.  As usual, way too many tomatoes but I have plants for those so not a problem.  We are already planning on grilling venison burgers tomorrow for dinner and eating many of these veggies.  So far I have picked three Cucumbers.  I have quite a few that are still yellow.  I sure hope they green up.  We did manage to get a few ears of corn so those will be a part of the meal.  HOORAY!

As for the fruits, our Honey Melon seems to be ok.  We have three nice sized melons to eat.  The Muskmelon didn't fair so well and only one Watermelon took.  I didn't plant Zucchini or Pumpkins because my neighbor gets an insane amount from his garden.  Yes, I intend to ask for a veggie/fruit exchange.  My grape vines are almost ready to harvest even though late September is typical.  My Peaches are looking rough. We may have to break down and spray them next year because this is the third year where the bugs are eating the peaches more than I am.

I think I'll get some of my Blackberries but the Raspberries just didn't grow.  Overall, I can't complain.  It's a nice harvest for a first time garden.  I do love that our farm produces luxurious fiber to wear plus meat, veggies, fruit, eggs and milk for nourishment.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, very nice for a first time garden.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drought got us all. Fruit is really hard to grow without spray. Sometime compromise is best, but I know how hars it it to even think about spraying. The CSA us used to work for ony used alpaca compost so it what I learned to garden with from the start. You did well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it takes a few years for berries to really start to get established. The radishes are beautiful! My favorite! I think you did quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! I am sad to hear about your pastures....I will never complain again about mowing! We started out compost pile with hay, goat poo, chicken poo and paca poo....I cannot wait until we get to start pulling from it! We did not have the energy to even think about a garden this year, but I am thinking this Fall we might start working on an area for the Spring. I hope the rain keeps up for you all! Enjoy your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That radish is on steroids!!!! I think you did a fantabulous job on your first garden - much better than I would have done. I am positive your meal will taste so much better knowing that it came from your own garden. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fantastic, Andrea!! You certainly have a green thumb! How was your weekend at the Festival? I hope you got to talk with lots of lovely 'fibery folk'!! :) XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting the stuff you did - wonderful! It's very sad with how much of America's crop is not growing this year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for you and your family for doing such a fantastic job! It's hard to put so much effort in and then have the weather be so cruel. I'm glad though to hear the thanks in your voice for the blessings you do have. I'm sure you'll enjoy every bite of your harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andrea! I'm so happy to see all those beauties from your garden! How wonderful you had so many kind of lovely things growing there! This summer we decided not to plant anything because we knew that we will be too busy. But I miss sweet tomatoes, cucamber etc.
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete