Monday, July 9, 2012

Tour de Fleece 2012 - Day 10

There is a new meaning to WWSIP.  It has been known as World Wide Spin In Public Day but I am taking on a new twist, Wonder Why Gal Spins In Public Whenever and Wherever.  What do you think?


Today I spent the better part of the day at the Eaton County Fair watching Sister Bear and her 4H Group show chickens.  It was a long day, let me tell you.  Seriously, it was a very long day.  Thank goodness I took my Turkish Spindle which I've decided to name Took as in, "Fool of a Took. Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity" - Gandolf the Gray, Lord of the Rings, J.R. Tolkein.


Brother Bear and Sister Bear




I spun for the better part of four hours and only a handful of children asked me what I was doing.  Only one adult approached me.  They watched and stared and I would offer up what I was doing but it surprised me that so few people asked what I was making because they really didn't know...so I educated them.


After all of the spinning plus the approximately 90 minutes total I spun on it a few days ago, I only have about .79oz on it.  Geez, it seems like so much more.  I am spinning finer but I have to say that spinning on the Turkish Spindle takes a lot longer than my other Top Whorl Drop Spindles.  I know part of it is me getting used to the new spindle.  I think the yarn I'm getting is lovely though.

8 comments:

  1. All dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney Great quote

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for public knitting! I am not in love, or even in like with my Turkish spindle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the family photos, Andrea! Boy, does your daughter look like you...and I never knew that you had such a handsome husband!! Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at your grown up girl! I love her glasses, very sophisticated. Love the fancy chickens too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's to looooooong 4H days, chickens, and great laceweight spinning. Can't wait to see the results.

    The bears seem to grow by leaps and bounds in each photo I see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4 hours of spinning while manning the fair? That's awesome!

    I've found the same thing when I've spun in public. A lot of people have no idea and won't ask.

    I like that you offered up some info. :-)

    One of the reasons I'd like to share the Lovely Blog with you. :-)

    http://kathrynsbrain.blogspot.com/2012/07/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you get nervous at all when people watch you while you knit.

    ReplyDelete