Friday, July 6, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday -

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  We are at the end of Week One of the Tour de Fleece and I have been spinning yarn like crazy.  I can't tell you one thing about the Tour de France although I have watched a bunch of the Olympic Trials.    The Tour de Fleece has also inspired me to post on a daily basis after going months of posting sometimes only once a week so...what do I post about today?  Oh, you know me!  I always have something new to share.


A few weeks ago my daughter and I dyed up about 4lbs of Huacaya fiber using Kool Aid. She wanted to help dye and I didn't want her using the acid dyes. I also am still unsure of myself when it comes to natural dyes so we went crazy with Kool Aid. She has seen me at work so much that she pretty much drove the mission and what we ended up with was beautiful pastel colors.
I have made a bunch of batts up that will be used by her 4H Alpaca Club for drop spindle demonstrations.  I had some help with Grumpy to make some toy spindles for them to use.  I also spun up a few skeins for them to use with weaving demonstrations in the Alpaca barn.  I figured they could finger weave some bracelets to wear.

Any time Sister Bear wants to help with my fiber, I always find ways to help.  I want to encourage her to learn and find her own passions.  They might not be the same as mine but giving her the opportunity to figure that out herself is better than never having the opportunity at all.  I often wonder if my mother had encouraged me to crochet or knit when I was younger (and expressed an interest) what I would be doing now?  That's all in the past and I'm just thankful that a few years ago I had a friend who had a friend who handed me a ball of yarn and two knitting needles and said, "You're a Knitter!" because that did change the course of my life.

Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday !
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs


21 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Sister Bear, she's got some great skills with the dying. Very pretty colors on that fiber.

    I remember the first time we met at Heidi's and I had no idea what I'd do with alpaca fiber, LOL Thanks for being a friend and enabler over the past few years. I'm sure I wouldn't be spinning today if it hadn't been for you and Spinny's beautiful Zebra Fish drop spindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dyeing session with what looks like sumptuous fiber. Looks great. Dyeing with KoolAid is on my to-do list ... I must get on and do it!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way the lime green came out. Looks so cool and refreshing when spun up to yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such fun - dying, learning to spin with a drop spindle and then making up some bracelets. I'd have love that when I was a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the greatest mom! How amazing to grow up dyeing and surrounded by all of that gorgeous fiber and spinning and knitting and weaving. Sister Bear is a lucky girl!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you are encouraging your daughter to find her own way of learning and loving the fiber arts!! Just a note: I recently made some felt with silk that I had dyed with Kool Aid and it really 'bled'...even after the felt was completed and I was doing the final rinse in vinegar...so head's up!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome she wanted to help..dyeing with kool aide is a ton of fun XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even if she chooses a different path she will always have these memories. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You two had quite a production going. :-)

    I like the green yarn too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your daughter is a natural! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree...I've also had a Crochet Club after school and the cultural background of my students doesn't include crochet, so exposing them to new things is essential...great job and tell Sister Bear great job on the dying...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what FUN! :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colours in the fibre! Especially that green - it's such a cool and refreshing shade. Is the weather less of a trial for you now than it was last week? I hope so, and I hope Grumpy has recovered from his accident. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was talking to someone about the Kool Aid dye and they said that they did Jello and have different results. I am wanting to get some yarn to dye to inspire my little one to take up the needles more often. I often have those wonders about my childhood as well. So it makes me slow down and invite those little hands into the kitchen and crafting with me. But they may have a different story..."my mom was always making me do something!"
    Ha...Ha...

    With All That I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally agree with you on this, giving them the opportunity is the most important part, then they can decide if and when to take it on.

    My Kool-aid dyed yarns tend to be pastel too. I have some food coloring that I'm itchy to try next.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful colours, I think the fibre talent must be hereditary :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful new yarns laying in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rainbows are cool, what super colors dying, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't forget you can Kool-aid dye in a jar in the sun, just like sun tea! I made several beautiful skeins that way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovin' that cool green, Sister Bear! Oh yeah.

    Just as long as you don't stifle her creativity, it's all good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you can do that with your daughter - I hope Addy and I will have shared interests when she is older. (of course, I'm really hoping we have shared FIBER interests...)

    ReplyDelete