Friday, July 13, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Spreading the Wonder

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Spin, Knit, Weave, repeat?  Those seem to be the Fiber Arts I spend my week thinking about.  Tour de Fleece has been ruling my Fiber Arts life and for the last two weeks I have essentially blogged every day.  Whew! If you haven't had a chance, check my last few posts and see the yarns I have been working on.


This has been a very busy week with the Eaton County Fair.  My daughter has been showing Chickens and Alpacas.  Last week I shared the fiber that she helped me dye and some of the yarns I have created from the  fiber.  This week, I gifted the yarn and batts to her 4H group so they could experiment with Fiber Arts during fair week.  I was amazed how their faces lit up when I pulled out the yarn and roving.  They actually squealed with delight when they saw the drop spindle and lap loom.  Right away, one of the girls started to cut yarn so she could finger weave some bracelets.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
  

Teaching kids is easier than you would think.  Ok, teaching teenagers is easier than you think.  I was surprised how quickly they figured out the weaving and the spinning.  By the time I returned to the fair on Thursday, they had already spun through two batts of fiber.  Their yarn looked great too!  Sharing the Wonder of Fiber Arts and Alpacas with a great bunch of kids is a total rock star experience.  I sure hope that their excitement this week continues on.  Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts!


Fiber Arts Friday !
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs



19 comments:

  1. Way to go passing on the fiber love Andrea! It must have been a great feeling to have them so excited. Did I see that Sister Bear got a few ribbons? Congratulations! Sounds like you're all having a good time at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fiber looks lovely; spinning is on my "must learn" list for this year. I already have a local wool supplier when I learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fair sounds like so much fun - I would love to have come along! That pink fibre and yarn is lovely - such a soft subtle colour ;-) It's so nice to teach new things to people and such a kick to see their faces light up when they 'get' it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every week I live vicariously through your fiber arts adventures. I've been in a bit of a slump lately. Maybe it's the heat, even though I do have a/c, or maybe I need a boost of inspiration.

    The fair sounds great! Thanks for all of the wonderful blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to have them so excited. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great (although busy) week. I love seeing the pictures of the alpacas doing obstacles :) You have made some lovely yarn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a busy week. I remember how busy fair week was when I was in 4H (I showed goats and rabbits; my mom wouldn't let me have an alpaca. She said there was no room for one.meh) I love alpacas, they are too cute. That's awesome about them actually squealing when they saw the fiber

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that they took to the spindle and fiber so easily - that mosaic is great! And Sister Bear continues to look great putting the alpacas through their paces - she's becoming quite a natural.

    And now you'll definitely need to officially accept your award next week (since *two* of us have nominated you!). You indeed have One Lovely Blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suddenly filled with an overwhelming desire to run out and join a 4H group. That is SUCH a cool thing you did for them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such an inspiration to the kids! I hope they will carry on the interest in fiber arts in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh... pretty pink! :) What a great thing to do with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo looks like a lot of fun at the fair. Sorry I've been so quiet on Tdf, probably won't be back sharing until next weekend.

    Enjoy and happy spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am inviting to share this with my blog hop, Show your Stuff:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/07/show-your-stuff-32-molasses-white.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you are so busy! I have to go lay down and rest, just reading all this!

    Love the pink cloud!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the hand spun! You are talented. I have really got to learn how to spin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You seem to be leading a dream life, surrounded by all the lovely fleece and yarn, and alpacas! I so wish I could spin, one of these days I'm going to learn how to spin, I swear! In the mean I'll just keep drooling over your lovely creation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have 1911 spinning wheel , but have never used it. You have really inspired me here :) Tink

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Andrea! That light pink wool is just adorable! I wish I could be there to learn, too! Happy weekend to you my friend! x Teje

    ReplyDelete