Sunday, June 3, 2012

Similar but Differnt

Our farm can't have all of the fun, although we really do try, so we visit other farms occasionally.  It's amazing what you can learn from people who raise livestock different from your own.  So many similarities yet so many differences.  As always, we can't visit another farm without a bit of barn envy.  No matter how much you like your barn, you always want to make improvements.  Yesterday was no different.  We visited a farm that raises Nigerian Dwarf Goats and our kids fell in love with their kids.  Seriously, goats are so much more playful and interact a lot more than our Alpacas.

Due to dairy issues, I love to eat goat cheese and goat milk when I can get my hands on it.  We have been considering, for a long time, getting a couple of goats that we could milk so we've been visiting farms to find out as much as we can about the care.

We have plenty of acreage and barns to give them a good home without disrupting the Alpacas.  Grumpy has always wanted a couple of goats.  It looks like he may get his wish...




8 comments:

  1. I hear you on the cow's milk intolerance - and it's great that I love goat cheese so much. Do iiiiiittttt! Get the goats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love goats! We, unfortunately do not live where we can raise goats, but we love to visit our local farm to see all the livestock. My kids have such a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the goat folks I know are slappyhappy with their choice. Go for it~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute and it sounds like they would be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, goat kids are just about the cutest... and goat kids playing with bears is pretty darn cute too. :-)

    I did not know that Nigerian Dwarfs were milking goats. Are they?

    I love goat cheese and milk too, therefore I admire anyone who wants to do the milking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photographs!Kids enjoy a lot with goat babies..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those little baby goats are adorable. I want a goat now.

    ReplyDelete