Friday, June 15, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - WWKIP 2012 Roof Sit

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Another week has flown by and it's already the middle of June.  Yikes!  What Fiber Arts Adventures have you had?  Did you find time to knit, spin, weave, crochet, felt, sew, quilt, embroider, cross-stitch...even shop for yarn?  Did you take care of your fiber producing animals?  Any new babies on the ground?  We want to know!  We want you to join our fun and share.

This week I have been busy with Nerd Wars projects.  I posted two of the yarns that I completed after last Friday's post.  I also cast on my Moving Target socks.  I thought my knitting mojo was gone but I am cranking through this first sock.  I have another evening of knitting and I will be at the heel.  Of course, this pattern calls for an after-though heel. I've never knit one before.  I am eager to learn this new technique.


I am also gathering all of my yarn for the Roof Sit Stash Sale at Your Local Yarn Shop in Battle Creek.  For the last few years, Linda and KellyJ have opened their yarn shop up to one of our local radio stations for the Roof Sit Fundraiser to assist The Haven of Rest.  They allow a certain number of booths in the parking lot to sell their yarn and fiber.  You know...that stash that YOU HAD TO BUY that now sits in a tub mocking you.  Well, they have figured out a way for it not to mock you.  Sell it!  Trade it!  Barter with it!  All the vendors pay a small donation which goes directly to the Roof Sit fundraiser and all of the buyers pay that same donation to buy said yarns. If I remember from last year, they call it the FEEL GOOD FIVE Win/Win/Win

They have the event on the second weekend of WWKIP (World Wide Knit in Public) so knitters will bring their lawn chairs and hang out at the yarn shop to share with the public, especially the public who is supporting The Haven, the love of knitting.  Win/Win

I shall be busy cranking on my new socks.  When I need a break from my sock knitting, I may get out my newest tool of the trade.  I am now the proud owner of a Jensen Turkish Spindle.  SQUEAL!  I have been drooling over his spindles for quite some time and I love the look of the Turkish spindle. Mine is made out of Amazon Rosewood and weights 1.51oz.  I can't wait to start spinning yarn on it.  It's one of my Tour de Fleece challenges to create beautiful yarn on it.

With all of the spinning and knitting, my weaving was put on the back burner this week but I hope to get those spa cloths done next week.  I have a daughter who is eager to steal my Cricket loom for her own weaving adventures.  Speaking of adventures...it's time to share yours!  Link in and share your Fiber Arts Adventures.  Thank you for visiting my blog and being a part of Fiber Arts Friday!

Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs







25 comments:

  1. I like the patter so far on the sock, you are welcome to share it here:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/06/show-your-stuff-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the prettiest yarn!! Your socks are also fab, I'm in awe of your skills. We were thinking of moving back to Michigan, so perhaps next year I'll be at the Roof Sit Stash :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pattern on your sock! The colours are beautiful! The roof sit stash sounds like a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of that spindle! The color fiber you have with it makes the color of the wood pop!
    Very sexy yarn as always too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the sock pattern, and that fibre next to your new spindle is such a gorgeous colour! I can't believe how quick this week has gone...and I know EXACTLY what you mean about a stash mocking you! I've been at SABLE for some time, but they're all my yarnbabies and I just can't bring myself to part with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Andrea! Your sock is looking fabu and I love that skein you've spun. I'm thinking I have a batt around here that may look like that some day. I can't wait to hear of your experience with the Turkish. I've got a cheapo Ashford Turkish that sins pretty nicely. The Roofsit stash down sounds like a great idea. Kelly is so clever. I wish you weren't so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, that spindle is so pretty!

    The rooftop event sounds like great fun - I wish I could come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great start to a cool looking sock-lots of other pretty yarns you've got going there, too. The stash sale sounds like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Colorwork AND socks?!? You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sock pattern and the new spindle, they are both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the Turkish spindle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I wrote my post, made breakfast, and sat down to read the others, starting with yours. I nearly choked on my rice cake and almond butter when I saw your line about losing your yarn mojo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys have the best community. Roof Sits, Kidney Kozys, road clean up. It's really nice to see people helping others.
    Beautiful spinning, yarn & socks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your socks are awsom! And do you spin your yarn with a spindle? I love the green-rose mix.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there chickie - have fun on the lawn chair with them thar socks! Love the green and pink spun number ... but the blue fiber you're spinning on your new spindle - now that's some color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sock is FANTASTIC. The afterthought heel is prety simple. I put off learning it for way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much fibre arts excitement! Lovely projects, spinning and knitting. Afterthought heels are the business, they may be my favourite technique (although I can never make up my mind really). Is Sister Bear going to do a guest post?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Roof Sit event sounds like loads of fun! Hope you get some good sale/trade, and have a wonderful time hanging out with other fiber people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are some complicated-looking socks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The socks are going to be so nice! I love your spindle, I am in awe of those that have the patience for them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the red, blue and grey yarn. That is gorgeouse.

    With All That I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those socks look incredible! I love your spindle.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I nominated you for a sunshine award on my blog! http://thegaugewars.blogspot.com/2012/06/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. A circle wool picture, of two brothers, using NZ sheep's wool. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  25. The view of the blog is so much eye-catching & liked by all.Roofing
    is the most important part of accomodation.That is just awful
    to have to replace a new roof. It will be nice when it's done.
    roofing

    ReplyDelete