Friday, June 22, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - SURPRISE!

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!

I had planned to post about the socks that I've been knitting, Tour de Fleece, the Olympics with their war against Ravelry and the Ravelympics but while I was at 4H with the kids last night I received a phone call from Grumpy that a cria had been born.

Now I wasn't expecting any births on the farm for at least two weeks.  Yikes!  June Bug had a little boy at somewhere around 5pm.  Grumpy didn't find him until around 6:30pm and he was already standing up try to walk.  He cleaned him the best he could.  We immediately left 4H to get home.

The little boy weighed in at 9 lbs.  That is not a very big Alpaca.  His teeth were erupted and his pasterns were good.  Confirmation wise, he looks like he should except he is super tiny.  June Bug, his dam, doesn't want to milk.  This is her first cria and she is freaked out. She was starting to "bag up" around 10pm last night but didn't want the little guy anywhere near her for feeding.  She seems to be very attentive but just doesn't want to nurse.

Grumpy and I spent a good part of the evening holding her while guiding the cria to her for nursing.  He wants to nurse but as soon as he latches on, she freaks out.

I mixed up a baby bottle of watered down goat milk and have tried to give him some.  He drank some but...it's not mom.

So...my night didn't turn out like I expected.  I shall post photos of my socks this weekend but my night was sleepless, worried about my new cria.  I do wish I had a camera in the barn.  A couple of trips to the barn just seemed to upset them so I am staying away until morning.  They need their sleep too.

I will wait until at least 5am (yes, it's 3:30am right now) to see if he has nursed or needs a bottle.  Thank goodness we have a ready supply of goat milk on hand.   Aggh!  I'm just a worried farmer right now.  Another reason for you to love and cherish that beautiful yarn you knit and roving you spin.  Some of these fiber producers have a tougher time starting out in the world.

Now share your Fiber Arts Adventures and wish our newest addition good health.  We still need to name him.  It was such a surprise with him coming early we didn't even think of a name.



Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs



32 comments:

  1. Oh, poor little thing!
    ...and poor you, up so early and worrying, too.
    I hope that your new baby has latched on in the night and they are a happy nursing couple by the time you peek your head in!! XXO--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just left the barn 6:30am and he was nursing. At first June Bug didn't want to but when I went out, he was alert.

      He didn't want the bottle I prepared, he wanted his mum.

      Whew! I can go to work not being a total freek.

      Delete
  2. I hope everything is alright with the baby alpaca and his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystals and wool seem to go together well, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well congrats on the new cria! He's a cutie - and he needs his momma's milk. Is she actually producing any? Sometimes things get clogged. Let's hope you don't need a vet call.

    In the meantime, try to get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, congrats on your new baby. I hope his Mom settles down to the job at hand, poor wee thing. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats and I hope it starts suckling soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a night. What a story to read. I will look forward to the update.s
    Please rest yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw he's so tiny. Glad to hear he's got the nursing down. What a night for you. Have a great day and get some rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, it looks so scroney...but that won't last long,. What's the war on Ravelry?

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is so true, some of these little ones start out rough. I think of what the dams must go through during these times. I look at some of our new moms and they look so tired. It's tough being a mom (whether a human mom or an alpaca mom). They give us such a gift :)

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's such a cute little guy! Hope he gets stronger and fatter for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's a pretty little thing, I hope momma gets with the feeding program asap! P.S. Congrats to Grumpy on his new goats, I can't wait to hear more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! He is super fun! Hope mama and him can get it figured out. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh he's just beautiful. I hope things get easier! Absolutely he's got to be your first priority!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is so adorable. I really hope everything works out just right for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He is beautiful. I hope June bug has calmed down by now and is feeding. She must have wanted a June baby

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm happy to hear they've worked things out.

    It's serendipitous that you now have goat milk on hand... just think, you'll even be able to have your own goat colostrum on hand next spring too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Andrea he's beautiful. We had the same problem with J.B. and his mom. I know how tiring it can be.....hang in there....call if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart go's out to the little guy and his confused Mama. I bet she will figure it out and they sure are lucky to have you.


    With All That I am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh he is a tiny one! I hope he starts to nurse from mom so you don't have to bottle feed. I totally get with the fretting part. It seems that's all I have been doing since we have had the animals here. I even dream about them. I'm sure it's just because it's all new. Good luck with the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hoping all goes well your new arrival and his mom.
    We'll all be sending out good thoughts that things will work themselves out real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what an entrance to this world! I hope things will get easier for you soon, you need some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  23. He is so cute and I hope things go well for him!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your new addition ... and good luck! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute - all this talk of alpacas on various blogs makes me want to take a trip to an alpaca ranch to see some, I do love to knit with alpaca - I just have a tendency to drift towards those skeins at a yarn shop.

    ReplyDelete
  26. All I can saw is....awwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh good luck to the little guy....I hope she accepts him soon...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope all goes well with your new addition-he's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good luck with Baby Cria! Cutie Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  30. He's cute! Glad to hear he's nursing.

    ReplyDelete