Friday, June 29, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - An Afterthought

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday! Knit, Spin, Weave, Crochet, Sew, Quilt, Felt...did I miss anything? If it's a Fiber Arts topic, we want you to share it. Each week bloggers from around the world link in to share their Fiber Arts adventures. Welcome to anyone new to Fiber Arts Friday and Thank you to everyone who joins in the fun each week.

This week I want to share with you the Moving Target socks I have been knitting for Nerd Wars. I have officially completed the first sock and am working on my second. For Nerd Wars, I need to complete a sock every two weeks if I want to complete both pair by the end of the tournament. So far...I am barely keeping pace although poolside knitting does help.


This pattern calls for an after-thought heel. I was very intimidated about knitting one because I wasn't sure how the socks would fit. How do you complete the toe without the heel? They pattern says that the heel will add about two inches...but would it?  




By golly, it did! I LOVE this heel. I think it fits better than my short row heel and other than having to put all of my stitches back on the needle, I only had to pick up 2-3 stitches on each side. Ha! Take that messy gusset ;-)

Tour de Fleece starts this Sunday.  Yikes!  It's hard to believe that July 1 is already here.  I am heading up the Team of Wonder - THE Alpaca Fiber Lovin' Team again this year.   We have already had a lot of chatter going in our Ravelry group and I am looking forward to the next month of people sharing their spinning projects and techniques.

On the farm front, It's HOT out there! Temps hit 100 degrees yesterday. We sprayed the Alpacas down a few times. When I got home from work, I went out to the barn. All of the Alpacas were sitting outside under the overhang except for Mr. Tumnus. He was the smart one who stayed inside in front of the fan. The heat hasn't appeared to stress him out too much. I have given him some extra electrolytes though and made sure the adults had them available too. It's important to make sure that they don't lose vital nutrients in this heat.

I plan to knit my weekend away poolside. Now...share your adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate: 
Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs





25 comments:

  1. Those socks are awesome! I've never tried an afterthought heel, I keep meaning to then chickening out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your socks-someday I have to ry to make them-still intimidated. Love the picture of the alpaca hogging the pool-too cute! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great socks, I believe I will have to knit myself a pair! The alpacas are so cute, do they take turns in the pool or do they have to get bossy with one another? I'm looking forward to TDF, have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a terrible admissions - but I have never knitted a pair of socks. I think I might have to put that right. Like the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's scary when the temps get so high. My dogs have been taking pretty short outside breaks the past few days. So glad we have a/c or it would be horrible for them with their hairy bodies. I love the socks. A pair of socks in two weeks is pretty darn ambitious. I might be able to do it once but couldn't keep that pace for long...my arm would want to fall off. Good luck and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks are fabulous! I hope I can get that good at colour work one day. It's been outrageously hot and humid over here the last few days and everyone's been miserable - I hope it cools down soon for you guys and your lovely Alpacas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The socks are great! And Mr. Tumnus is a smart cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Socks are looking really good. I like the way the pattern looks and the colours. Good luck with the next one

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried the after-though heel yet either, but it's on my list.

    TdF starts on Sunday? I was thinking it was tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct!

      Yikes, I need to get in gear. What kind of a team captain am I? Oh, an awesome one with no sense of how to read a calendar.

      Saturday June 30 and runs until Sunday July 22nd, 2012

      Delete
  10. What an awesome sock! I'm a crazy sock fan but still haven't gotten the nerve to knit them yet.

    ACK! TdF is this weekend already! Guess I'll be dying, drying, carding on Saturday.

    Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really have to get back into socks. I was in a period where I bought sock yarn and then got too "chicken" to make them. I stumbled with a pair or two, but you always inspire me to do more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the socks, Andrea...and the cuties 'lounging around' the baby pool!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely sock!

    Also: YAY TdF...I'm on the Nerd Wars team...I totally failed last year, but I'm excited to be trying again this year...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colors in those socks ... but you'll pretty much never see me with socks on my needles. Nope. No siree Bob. :)

    And the poor animals in that heat - you're a good owner. And Mr. Tumnus is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great socks! It's hot here too so I am not really into woolen socks anymore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning socks!!! Love, love, love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never done an after-thought heel, and now I'm intrigued. Yours came out so nice! Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the name Mr. Tumnus! Thanks for hosting this linky party! I had two posts to share today, one in knit, and one in crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to find this site. I'm off to do some exploring...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those socks! THey look so terribly difficult!

    And I love the alpaca pool-hog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your socks are coming along nicely......a sock every two weeks? What a goal and on top of Tour de Fleece.....are you nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for hosting this group. I really look forward to participating each week. I would like to pass my Beautiful Blogger award on to you. I love the updates of the alpacas. Such great baby pictures. Thanks! For the rules: http://fattoriafiberworks.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/the-beautiful-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Better late than never!!! I've joined your linky :)
    I LOVE your socks too. Great pattern & colours x

    ReplyDelete
  24. You socks are looking great. I am a big fan of afterthought heels.

    Love the alpaca pictures, especially the pool hog in the last photo

    ReplyDelete