Friday, May 4, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Yarn Quest Day

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Knit, Spin, Weave, Crochet, Sew, Quilt, Felt...did I miss anything?  If it's a Fiber Arts topic, we want you to share it.  Each week bloggers from around the world link in to share their Fiber Arts adventures.  Welcome to anyone new to Fiber Arts Friday and Thank you to everyone who joins in the fun each week.
 










This week I was a busy gal knitting the Cobblestone Cowl written by KellyJ for Kalamazoo Knits.  It was a pattern Your Local Yarn Shop gave to shoppers who participated in the Southwestern Michigan Yarn Quest last week.  Since Your Local Yarn Shop (YLYS) is also my local yarn shop (LYS) I have been watching KellyJ as she has been working on her new patterns.  I was super excited to cast on this Summer Cowl because I thought all of her patterns were sassy and I love knits I can wear even in the Summer.

I actually bought something from each shop I visited.  Everything I bought was for projects that I have been planning so I was good about the impulse buy.  I also kept my vow of not buying anymore sock yarn.  At YLYS, I bought a couple of skeins of Panda Silk which I knew I would pair with my handspun to make this cowl.  I also bought a skein of Therapi which I will use with my handspun for another upcoming project.
I really did my best not to stock up on Orange yarn.  I am rather happy with my willpower for the day.  A good chunk of what I bought was for weaving projects.  One of the shops, Threadbender, had a very nice selection of weaving cones so I did go a bit crazy there.  I guess this means I had better quit neglecting my looms.   I did manage to sneak on braid of fiber in because...well, good golly, it's purty and I must spin ;-)  I am going to attempt to weave spa cloths so I bought a few types of hemp yarn and cotton.  I'm looking forward to experimenting with those.  Each shop gave us a free pattern too so now I have inspiration to make a few more projects...hmmm, I think I will work through this stash before then next big quest. 

Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate: 
Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs

27 comments:

  1. You can't plan impulse buys!! That's cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your quest was s success. Some of my friends from the GR Yarnies made the quest and really enjoyed it. I saw lots of beautiful yarn last week. Love your cowl and it looks cute and sassy on you. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to try cobblestone...and weaving...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job on the purposeful shopping. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go you for your Mindful Yarn Questing, and look how gorgeous the results are so far! That cowl is such an intriguing texture, and your yarn selections work just beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like you got some great stuff. The pink yarn is an amazingly wonderful color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A summer cowl - a great project. I love knitting cowls but never think of them for the summer, but what a nice quick project for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome adding to the stash! Go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful yarns! I think that was superb willpower if you bought from every shop visited. Also, the cowl is so cool... love the cobblestone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey lady - it's definitely a cowl week, no? :) Yours came out super!!!

    And I notice some Plymouth Grass in your fibery pirate booty from the yarn crawl. Let me tell you I love my sweater made with it - I've worn it quite a bit! It gets soooooo soft.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful cowl! LOVE it! Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A May giveaway, handmade using New Zealand Sheep's wool, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to go somewhere that I can do a yarn crawl. That just sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute cowl. Looks like you picked up some awesome stuff on your yarn crawl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to dodge the impulse buying. ;) Great buys, too!

    And you left embroidery/cross stitch off your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally right. We can't forget those either. Ah, you can tell the tournament is over with Nerd Wars because you've re-surfaced ;-)

      Delete
  16. Hooray for wonderful purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great yarn shopping trip, I admire your will power :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great haul! I love LYS hops....and nice cowl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such good control of your purchases. I like the extra length on your cowl. Some of them look down right about to choke the wearer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love shop hops! You did well, what great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can NEVER have enough orange anything!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I yarn crawl vicariously through you!

    With Love from
    Your Evil Triplet

    ReplyDelete
  23. "I really did my best not to stock up on orange yarn." The horror!!
    I will forgive you this (hopefully singular) lapse in judgement, and try to get the earth spinning properly on its axis again tomorrow while I'm at the Maryland S&W. I figure that if I buy enough orange fiber, I may yet save us from becoming a frozen, lifeless wasteland! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cool pattern. I love your color choices. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete