Friday, May 11, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Quack Quack Waddle Waddle

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Another week has passed with Fiber Arts Adventures that we want to share.  If you knit, spin, weave, felt, crochet, sew, quilt, embroider, cross-stitch...whew, did I miss anything?  Anyways, if you are a Fiber Artist or enjoy Fiber Arts then share your adventures.


After being on a knitting kick, I got my spinning mojo back this week.  I had a few bobbins that just needed some plying so...I worked through them.  The first skein is comprised of Alpaca donated by Sweet Petunia of Wonder.  I spun her beautiful Huacaya fleece into a fingering weight single then plyed it with 4oz of Merino/Tencel in a gorgeous purple that was gifted to me last year during a swap.  I love how the two colors worked together to create this yarn.  I ended up with 322 yards out of 9 oz for a nice worsted weight yarn.  I had hoped for more yardage but I am pleased with how it turned out.  I can already imagine it knitted into a beautiful shawl.

The second skein is from my Suri blend of 70% Suri Alpaca and 30% Merino.  It was originally a gray with flecks of burgundy in it.  Once I was finished spinning the yarn, I decided I wanted to overdye it so I stuck it in the pot and added about four colors to the yarn painting different sections.  I was curious to see how the color would take.  What surprised me was that the burgundy took over, which I used very little of.  I had used some Gun Metal, Vermilion, Fire Red and Burgundy.  Yes, I was experimenting.  Maybe because I was doing it in a pot instead of lying the yarn flat and painting it, the colors took different.  Maybe because there was already some burgundy in with the Gray?  I don't know.  Regardless, I am very pleased with the rich color which my photographs did not capture.  Why is it so hard to take good photos of dark yarns?  Argh!

So my happiness and relaxation levels are at a perfect place right now.  I forget what a great mood I am in when my waking hours to spinning hours ratio is evenly matched.  Ok, not evenly but enough that I feel cool, calm and collected.

Finally, we got a few new additions to the farm this week.  Grumpy ordered some new chicks because we had been using our own eggs for while and he wanted some new chickens to hatch and work with.  This time he ordered a couple of Goslings to grow into Guard Geese on the farm.  This is one of them.  Isn't she cute?  It will be interesting to see how they interact with our turkey, Mr. T.

So, that's the summary of my Fiber Arts Adventures this week.  What did you do?

Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate: 
Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs


20 comments:

  1. I love the burgundy one! And is there anything cuter than baby chicks and ducks...well maybe kittens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely yarns-and adorable chicks-hope those geese grow up to be friendly-I had a very cranky goose when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of the yarn and clouds is amazing! Looks painted.

    Good luck with the geese! I've never been a fan because they seem to have it out for me and can give quite the bruises. They are so cute when they are small though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the goslings they're so cute and I'll be there very soft. Your handspun looks great. I really do need to find some time for spinning.Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spinning looks great! I would love to spin, but I need another craf like I need another husband :o

    Whith All I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in the yarn - but, you're right, dark yarn is so hard to photograph (gives me fits every time!). I actually prefer to dyeing in the pot, as opposed to hand painting and steaming - I think it lends to richer colors.
    Have to admit I gave a little squee upon seeing your baby gosling pictures - love the curious little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, your yarns are beautiful!! The burgundy one is gorgeous despite how difficult it is to take photos of dark yarns. I can't wait to meet the newest additions to the farm . . . they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hardly decide which photo makes me happier---the adorable gosling or that amazing burgundy-and-grey yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yarns are beautiful... I really like the burgundy one.

    I imagine your goslings will grow into great guardians, but they sure are cute now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the first skein, awesome colors, will that be enough to make a shawl? I've been hunting patterns of late and everything I'm finding seems to be about double that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Chick is cuuuuuutttteeee! Too bad they can't stay small and fuzzy like that!

    Of course, I'm a sucker for your handspun. Love both of them, but that burgundy is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so talented - the skeins look great and your colors are beautiful. And you have animals to care for too! How do you folks do it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG - LOVE your new additions! :) Adorable. Beautiful plied yarn too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely fibre projects, looking forward to seeing what you make with your beautiful yarn. Very cute new additions

    ReplyDelete
  15. That over-dyed yarn is beautiful! Very rich color. I guess I should move away from kool-aide dyes and try something sophisticated like that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your new goslings! It's so much fun to play with colors, makes me want to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your yarns are gorgeous! Beautiful colors. Those Goslings are sooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am loving the cute little chicks! beautiful yarns too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the two color purple yarn!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete