Friday, April 6, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Wear my Easter Bonnet

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Knit, Spin, Dye, Crochet, Weave, Quilt, Sew...the possibilities are endless.  Join in the fun and share your Fiber Arts Adventures.  Come on!  What are you waiting for? 

This week I am sharing with you my newest "hat", a Fascinator, which I felted this last Sunday with the help of my friend, Jone who owns Spectral Glass and Artworx.  We had a wonderful afternoon of sunshine, laughter and felting...and of course, a visit to the barn to see the Alpacas.  What more can you ask for?  I learned some new techniques for felting and came up with my Easter Bonnet. 

Yes, it's Orange.  Now why would I pick a pastel when I can rock the Orange ;-)  Why I could be the grandest lady in the Easter Parade.


Easter Parade 1948
Can you see it now?  Me, Fred Astaire and Judy Garland walking in the Easter Parade.  Would someone write a sonnet about my Easter bonnet? Seriously, life would be wonderful living in an Irving Berlin musical.  

I didn't take photos during the felting process but I will share that this was totally wet felted. We did use pre-felt that Jone dyes which means that we took the felting from felted "fabric" instead of from roving.  I had never done this before.  Of course, a wee bit of sewing was involved.  Yikes! I know!  I needed to stitch some loops so the Fascinator would stay on my headband.  I know...another sneaky way to get me to sew ;-)

Besides felting and sewing, I also finished another Bandwidth that I made for Sister Bear.  She was so impressed by the one I knitted for myself that she asked that I'd make on in her school colors.  I am really pleased with how hers turned out.  I knitted the band on size 6 instead of size 8 and only knit 10 of the 15 rounds in the middle since her head is smaller.  I did a great job eyeballing the measurements and it fits her perfectly.
So mother and daughter both have sassy new hats for Easter.  hmmm, I think I will treat us to an evening at the movies watching Hunger Games as our night out on the town.  Now...share your adventures in Fiber Arts and have a wonderful Easter weekend.



Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs

27 comments:

  1. Love the hats! Love the colour of the fascinator one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even begin to put into words how much I love your fascinator. It is so very fabulous, and I LOVE the colours in it. Your daughters hat is wonderful too, I love when "eye-balling" works out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fascinator is fab!
    I have linked to my funky new knitting bag - made by me :)
    Lovely to stumble across your blog - I've joined X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea--I'm so happy that you spent a wonderful day with Jone (how could it be otherwise?)...and the fascinator you made is fabu!!! You know that I would never quarrel with the idea of an orange 'anything'!!! :)
    Your daughter's hat is terrific, too. I'm sure there are mothers out there who WISH their daughters would ask for hand-crafted things!
    Have a wonderful Easter! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first visit to your site. I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Congrats on your wonderful hats.

    cheers,
    Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE that little orange hat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! You can certainly rock a hat Andrea. Have a great weekend.Sister Bear's hat looks warm and comfy and it sounds like she'll need the warm part for sure the next few mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fascinator is just FUN!!!!! And Sister Bear's hat is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love your new Easter bonnet, very funky and cool, and sister bears new hat looks awesome too! Have a great weekend, that movie is very popular, have some extra popcorn for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! That fascinator is fantastic!!
    Sister Bear looks so cute in her hat, too.
    I'm actually going to pass by the actual NYC Easter Parade this weekend. Can't wait to see the hats there.
    Happy Fiber Arts Friday and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply love your bonnet! Fascinators are great, don't mess your hair

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them both. You are one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Fascinator is AWESOME!

    Perfect for Easter and perfect with a black pencil skirt and seemed stockings. ;-)

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PERFECT! AND SPECTACULAR!! Perfectly spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love with your fascinator - and orange totally rocks.
    Sister Bear's hat is also full of awesome - I'm going to queue this pattern to add to my collection of slouchy hats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bonnet us super cute! I love it. Perfect for Easter. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh. Best. Easter bonnet. Ever. That thing is a complete work of art---the colours and shapes make the term "fascinator" make perfect sense to me. I could stare at it all day like a cat sitting by a window that looks out over a bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant Fascinator, it really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, I love that fascinator! And I would pick no other color than orange for you. :)

    Missy, you are becoming the hat maven. Have a great night out with Sister Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh WOW! you are totalllly rockin the hat. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice to see your hats, especially the Bandwith as I just bought the pattern and yarn to make one. Now I'm motivated to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super hats. I love seeing your felting projects and hearing about the process, I have not got around to trying felting so i am enjoying living vicariously through your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love both hats! and the pictures are adorable, both of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both of the hats look great, really love how the felting turned out too. That's something I haven't tried, at least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww, your little girl sure is growing up fast! Every picture, she looks a bit taller!

    I love the hats ... the orange is lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gosh, the fascinator is fabulous! I love the model pics, too! Your daughter's hat is so cute on her. I hope that you both enjoy showing them off on Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's a very convincing fascinator. Perhaps you could submit for HRH's endorsement? Love the orange colours too!

    ReplyDelete