Friday, April 13, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Green Thumb

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Knit, Spin, Weave, Crochet, Sew, Quilt...are our ways to create art.  Share your adventures in Fiber Arts.  This week I completed my Green Thumb Mitts.  I really enjoyed this pattern and it was a sneaky way for me to work a tiny bit of lace knitting into my skills.  I adore lace but not the patience it takes to knit it so when there are projects with just a few short rows, I'm all for it.  This was also my first Nerd Wars submission for Round 3.

Our Geek Pride challenge was to make a project inspired by another competitor's project.  My friend Val, from Maine, who plays for Team Impala, fans of the show Supernatural, knitted these mitts for a challenge last round and I thought they were pretty sassy.  I've actually added quite a few items to my knitting queue due to her awesome projects.  Anyways, I decided to make these using yarn from my farm that I dyed.  There is something to be said for using your own product.  Knowing that I was in charge of those animals health and care, that I sorted their raw fleece and prepped it so it could become the yarn that it is.  Finally to knit with that yarn just completes the experience.

I feel that way when I get the opportunity to knit with someone else's handspun yarn too.  Knowing that they took the time to turn that roving into yarn...there is a story and emotion tied to that product.  This pattern was fun too.  Just enough to keep me busy but not enough to bore me.  I LOVE the thumbs.  The pattern writer has some other fun patterns too that I intend to knit in the future.

I was very pleased with our early Spring because the early blooming Lilacs really compliment the Purple tones in my yarn.  If I had more of it, I'd rename it Lilac but, alas, I have sold out of this colorway.  Hopefully I will get enough fiber to create another run of yarn that is similar so I can dye more of this.

Thank you to everyone who links in every week and leaves wonderful comments.  We've become quite the Fiber Arts Family over the last few years.  Welcome to everyone who is new to Fiber Arts Friday.  May you find the kinship that so many of us have found here each week. Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts. 
Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:

  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs

33 comments:

  1. I saw those in the challenge thread and fell in love with them (as I did when Val made them too - she's in my team so I can't use them as inspiration though!)

    I love the thumb gusset, such a clever detail, and the colour of yours is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those mitts. The yarn choice is perfect. I've added the pattern to my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those! A must have for my Pot tower. It may not be a fiber art I shared this Friday but the gardening gloves were too matchy matchy for me to pass it up. Sorry!

    With All That I Am
    Carrie "Forrest"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty color, Andrea!! Your yarn rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea! I looooove your new hat in your last post! Just amazing and so unique! And your new fingerless are also so lovely with the beautiful pattern and the gorgeus colour! Have a great weekend1 x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are lovely, my daughter has been wanting me to make her a pair. I'll have to add that to my 'to do' list. :) I love the color you chose for the gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday the 13th! Your mitts are lovely and that bit of lace work on the thumb is such a nice touch. I am impressed at your accomplishments in the Nerd Wars project. Your dedication is inspiring. Thanks again, for getting us all together here. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thumb gusset caught my attention right away. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful mits! I love that color, very spring feeling and light. You are becoming quite the accomplished knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those mitts look awesome with the lilacs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG cherry blossoms! It really IS spring!

    Love the mitts. I really like the entire leaf at the base of each thumb - really nice design element!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those mitts - really, love everything you've been creating for Nerd Wars!
    Gorgeous color - did you dye the yarn yourself, too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely connection to your animals and to your art and craft. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are beautiful. The color is really breathtaking. I can see why it sold out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, I love these, the yarn totally makes them sing! Your lilacs are such a beautiful deep color too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous!
    I agree with you about lace. I have tried a few times to do some projects, but always get stalled. I think incorporating some into a project is a nice way to go, until I'm ready to commit to something more substantial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Friday the 13th! Lovely mittens :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those mitts look great near your Lilac blooms! Of course, you know I'm all over that colorway.

    Linking in every Friday remains a great way to start my last day of the week. Thanks for hosting this - I know how early you get up each week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Green Thumbs are very pretty, and look perfect with your lilac blooms. Did I tell you that the designer is in our knitting group? She's very creative in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lovely, and great colour. Wish I was wearing them right now--I'm cold sitting here at the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. And I added projects to my knitting queue inspired by you! I'm moving these up too. Your Green Thumbs and lilacs are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful mitts, and ooh, those lilacs in the photos! Thank you for sharing those, ours aren't blooming yet and a little vicarious-lilac-prettiness is just what my afternoon needed. (And I love that you used your own yarn for these, and how mindful you are about that usage. It's inspiring.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are so pretty!! Gorgeous color with a lovely pattern. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look lovely, a gorgeous pattern and super colour. I love the stories knitted projects have, even more so when the yarn is handspun from homemade fibre.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very lovely! I have been meaning to make some of these for myself for years....must do it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do like those thumbs ... much better than just a hole and a token few rows! They're fabulous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the color of your mitts! Beautiful. I'm new to Fiber Arts Friday. Anna at Not Knapping told me about it, so I thought I'd weigh in.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good job on your mitts, Andrea! But I gotta say the combination of your yarn color and those beautiful lilacs really put me over the edge on this one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nor only am I fascinated by the lovely mitts and the soft heather color, but I am also fascinated by your fascinator. Tres chic!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Andrea, I used size 0 needles on The Ugly Socks since it was Opal yarn which runs to the fine side and I have super sensitive soles of feet so have to have a good solid fabric. I really don't think they're ugly but a friend does...that's how they got their name.

    ReplyDelete
  31. They are so pretty. I love the leaf at the base of the thumb. I might have to have a go at those one day

    ReplyDelete