Friday, April 20, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday - Blue and Green Day

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Another great week of adventures in spinning, knitting, crochet, weaving, felting, sewing, quilting and all around arts and crafts with fiber.  Today is National Donate Life Blue and Green Day in support of organ, eye and tissue donation this is the first year for this event.  Wear Blue and Green and show your support for Organ Donation.  


Before blocking
This week I really put the knitting needles to work so I could finish my Tuck Shawl.  I started it on February 1 for my Nerd Wars dissertation.  I was allowed three months to complete this shawl and I'm glad I was given that time.  I need to submit this shawl along with a write up for my Nerd Wars competition by Monday but really wanted it completed by today so that I could show my support for Organ Donation by wearing my sassy hand knit.

Blocking
This shawl has been one of my bigger knitting challenges.  It's essentially all pattern work with few knit or purl rows.  I learned some new knitting techniques and a lot about my patience.  I managed to get some finished photos due to some amazing help with blocking.  I am going to have to invest in blocking wires and more pins if I'm going to continue to knit patterns with details.

 
The Tuck Shawl, Blocked
Tomorrow is our Shearing Day of Wonder.  Our herd of Alpacas will get their yearly shearing and I will harvest my fiber crop so I can create more yarn and roving to sell.  I've been freaking out with the weather all week hoping that the rain holds off tonight and tomorrow.  My Alpacas don't like being locked in the barn and seem to poo and make a bigger mess to show their disapproval.  Alas, we want that fleece dry before shearing so they have to put up with it this one night a year.

Now that I've finished Tuck, I am also getting re-acquainted with my spinning wheel.  Frodo was neglected for a few weeks while I worked on various knitting projects.  I promised him that I won't do that again so we are making up by making some fun textured yarns.

Now...share your adventures in Fiber Arts!  Remember to wear your Blue and Green.  Show your support for Organ Donation.  As the daughter of a double lung transplant recipient, I thank each and every registered organ donor.
Fiber Arts Friday ! 
To participate:

  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs






32 comments:

  1. wow this shawl is beautiful, i love the colouring and the detail - really lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shawl, it turned out beautifully. I hope you have a good, dry day for shearing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't blocking much such a difference! Looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, that turned out really well - and blocking is magic, magic, magic!!! I hope you have a great shearing day, cause some of us loooooove that yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl is very pretty-have fun shearing-hope everyone and the weather cooperates with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea your shawl is beautiful! The first thing I thought was "oh how comforting it looks". That's a really nice design and your yarn choice was perfect. I hope you have a great shearing day. I'd love to be there but there. Please know I'll be thinking of you all working hard tomorrow. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, the majic of blocking. Your shawl is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shawl is very pretty! Nice work. How is it already shearing time? I thought that didn't happen until May. Best of luck with that. I hope it all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea--I'm so intrigued by your 'before' and 'after' blocking shots! It's truly amazing what wonders blocking achieves (and it makes me nervous about ever washing any of my beautiful hand-knitted gifts!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blocking really is amazing, isn't it? Your patience definitely paid off - it's beautiful!

    Poor alpacas - hope they don't leave you too big a mess and that shearing goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! It looks great...I've had epic fail on my dissertation this tournament...I've tried one each tournament and have yet to complete one... this time was partially because I was injured last month...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a differenace blocking makes! I must try a shawl...I have done poncho's but not a shawl. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your shawl is gorgeous!! I can't wait to see it in person. I'm so excited about tomorrow!! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing what blocking will do! Good luck with the shearing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow what a change from unblocked to blocked. Beautiful pattern work there's so much to look at! How in the world did you finish without getting so confused along the way. Smashing Job and the tree in bloom is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh look at the magic of blocking! Your shawl is gorgeous!!

    Have fun shearing tomorrow. We're doing our next weekend.

    I'm glad to know that organ donation has it's own color. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh mercy, I LOVE that shawl!! It's beautiful. So yay me, I didn't even know it was blue and green day and I posted a green thing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the gorgeous shawl. You did a great job. I love shawls; I later plan on making one this summer. Although with the cool weather we've been having, if I make one now I could wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the shawl. It's so pretty. Can't wait to see your alpaca fiber haul. I find it so interesting. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a pretty shawl! I love the blues. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always am amazed by the effects of blocking! The shawl looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it amazing what a difference blocking can make. That's a very pretty shawl

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yes, blocking does magic with lace work, and you did a great job with the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Tuck shawl is very pretty and I love the color blue you used. I am always amazed at the work lace knitters do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the blue... and blocking does magic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cool shawl. It looks like a sampler of different stitches and different yarns. I've been mooning over blocking wires for a few years, but the cost of them! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your shawl looks great!

    Without knowing there was a reason, I was drawn to a blue-green top this morning, so I'm wearing the colors completely without knowing it. There must be a Disturbance in the Force!

    Thanks for the nice welcome last week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Blocking wires are a great investment. It prevents the points and waves (unless that is part of the pattern) and cuts down on the amount of pins needed.

    That is one complicated looking shawl! It's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow, what a beautiful and interestingly shaped and textured shawl---and the blocking really worked magic on it!

    And totally be accident, I was wearing green today, which makes me happy since organ donation is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The shawl looks great, blocking lace is like a magic trick. Hope the weather stayed dry and you had a good shearing day

    ReplyDelete
  31. The design of your shawl is very eye-catching. Just lovely!

    :)

    ReplyDelete