Sunday, March 18, 2012

Nerd Wars T4R2 - Giving Geek

I completed another project that I will be donating to the Child Abuse Neglect Council for their fundraiser in May.  I did some major shoehorning to get it to meet the Giving Geek Challenge for this round of Nerd Wars.  There was a big debate about the charity could not be children, it had to be woman and so...I went a wee bit creative with help from my Fellowship in Team Precious.

Challenge:
For this challenge, we’re asking you to do something nice for a woman or group of women. We would like to encourage you to think about those women who could REALLY use some kindness. This includes, but is not limited to women in shelters or battered women’s programs, women dealing with a serious health problem, and women in nursing homes.

Normally I would have a problem doing something for a charity that met the challenge category but I had already committed myself to making items for CAN so...that's what I did.

Rav Handle: wonderwhygal
Team: Team Precious
A photo of the completed project
NerdWars T4R2 Giving Geek
What craft was used? (Knitting, Crochet, Spinning, Weaving)
Weaving
A written description of how your project answers the challenge
I made this scarf using a mixture of handspun yarn and commercial yarn to create a Herringbone Pattern on my Cricket Rigid Heddle Loom as part of a donation basket I am giving to my manager who will use it for one of her charities. She is on the CAN Council. The Calhoun Child Abuse/Neglect Prevention Council. Every May the Council hosts a Blue Tie Auction to raise money and I am donating this scarf to help with the efforts.  She asked if I would make a couple of projects using Alpaca from my farm for this benefit/auction and this will be one of them.
img_1700.jpg


In the words of John Mayer, Fathers, be good to your daughters, Daughters will love like you do,  Girls become lovers who turn into mothers, So mothers, be good to your daughters too.  The CAN Council reaches out to Calhoun County parents, caregivers, neighborhoods and organizations and help them prevent child abuse and neglect by finding positive ways to parent, care for, and serve our youngest citizens, our children.
 
Team Tie In:
Thinking along those lines, the character Eowyn in the Lord of the Rings is a daughter of the House of Eorl and the niece of King Théoden. She is a noblewoman of Rohan who wanted to be a warrior but being a woman she was supposed to take care of the people in the house of healing. She disguised herself as a man and fought with the Riders of Rohan to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
eowynsword.jpg
She fought the Witch-king where he threatened to “bear her away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where her flesh shall be devoured, and her shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.” The Witch-king further boasted that ”no living man may hinder me,” Éowyn then removed her helmet and declared: “But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.”

2 comments:

  1. I love the scarf, what beautiful colours :) Great tie-in to the challenge too!

    ReplyDelete