Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Nerd Wars T4R1 - Technical Challenge

My final challenge for this round of Nerd Wars is complete.  6 of 6 challenges were completed plus I have been progressing on my dissertation.  For this challenge, we were supposed to make something using our specialty.

Your challenge this month is to craft an item using a technique that you feel is one of your strengths. Do you love lace? Have you conquered cables? Are you a garter stitch champ? Are you the fastest n-plyer in the west? Are amigurimi your pride and joy? This is your opportunity to show us your mad skillz! (For the purposes of this challenge, a technique is a method within a particular craft. For instance, knitting is a craft, but knitting garter stitch or stockinette stitch is a technique.)

Rav Handle: wonderwhygal
Team: Team Precious
A photo of the completed project
Nerdwars TeamPrecious T4R1 Technical.jpg
What craft was used?
Spinning
A written description of how your project answers the challenge:
My specialty is to spin yarn from Pasture to Product. Almost anyone can spin yarn but not everyone can or has the means to raise the fiber producing animals on a farm and take their fleece from the pasture to final product. I raise Alpacas, both Suri and Huacaya. I have a breeding program here on the farm where I pick my herdsire and dams based on many characteristics including their fiber. My aim with each cria born on the farm is to create a fiber producing Alpaca that has a consistent length, color and grade. I can spin my yarn anywhere from fingering to bulky weight. This skein of yarn is one of my specialties. It’s a 2ply fingering weight yarn. 70% Suri Alpaca and 30% dyed Merino to create this gorgeous yarn. 14 WPI, 382 yards 7.2oz
pass.jpg
Team Tie In:
This yarn color was inspired by Gandalf, the most Awesome™ of wizards in the Lord of the Rings. While the Fellowship of the Ring are running to escape the Balrog, a demon from Middle Earth, Gandalf stops to save his companions. “ You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass!” Gandalf the Gray facing the Red demon is the reason for the color of my yarn.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful yarn :) I love your team tie-in, the colour is very Gandalf. And your specialty is so cool, very involved (mine was magic loop, not nearly as exciting!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. Tomorrow, I hope to share my attempt at spinning. I am a newbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your yarns are always so beautiful and such an inspiration to us beginner spinners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popped in from FOF, you signed in, but it doesn't look like you're playing?

    ReplyDelete