Sunday, February 12, 2012

Nerd Wars T4R1 Intellectual Challenge

For this challenge we needed to craft something using a mnemonic tool.  It was a fun challenge with the hardest part decided which memory tool to use.  It's been a lot of fun looking at what other people have been submitting.  I went with a weather tool.

Rav handle wonderwhygal
Team Name Team Precious
What craft was used? Spinning
A photo of the completed project
Nerdwars TeamPrecious T4R1 Intellectual.jpg
A written description of how your project answers the challenge
This 2 ply 6.5oz 216 yrd 100% BFL (Blue Faced Leicester) yarn was created with inspiration from this mnemonic. I dyed the yarn to reflect the shades of the sky that can be found when a red sunset or sunrise appears.
Red sky at night: shepherd’s delight. Red sky in the morning: shepherd’s warning.
Being an Alpaca farmer, I thought this was a cool. This phrase is also known for being used with sailors but I don’t sail, so this farmer liked the phrase using a shepherd. It refers to weather. The origins are unclear but it appears it was used mostly in England since the weather there comes from the West. If we see red clouds in the evening they will be in the east and have already passed us by, giving a good chance of clear skies and fine weather ahead but red skies in the morning mean a storm or bad weather is ahead. Now, for a team tie in, Legolas, says in the Lord of the Rings, Two Towers , “A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night. “ Again, red in the morning sky is not good.
This project also is my Team Unity. Team Precious has chosen Dragons of Middle Earth as our unity project. I picked Smaug, the most Awesome of Awesome Dragons who can be found in The Hobbit. As seen in following photo, I dyed my roving to reflect the colors of Smaug using reds, oranges, burgundy and hints of gold and yellow which are his scales, his flames and all of his treasures.
Nerdwars TeamPrecious T4R1 TeamUnity.jpg

5 comments:

  1. I love the yarn. Red is my favorite color. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful yarn, absolutely gorgeous reds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say that mnemonic as shepherds and people always tell me it should be sailors... So glad I'm not the only one who says it this way!

    Beautiful yarn, and I love your team tie in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the origins of that saying but I know it pre-dates Jesus as he uses that in Matthew 16:2-3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors! Gorgeous yarn.

    ReplyDelete