Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Nerd Wars T4R1 - Giving Geek

Happy Valentine's Day!  My gift on this holiday of love is to the greater good via my sassy knitting skills.  Oh yeah!  I submitted yet another project for Nerd Wars and this time it's for charity.  For this challenge I wanted to make something out of quality yarn and not "charity" yarn that  would help others and I hope I succeed.  I will have to wait and find out in May.

Rav handle wonderwhygal
Team Name Team Precious
A photo of the completed project
Nerdwars TeamPrecious T4R1 GivingGeek.jpg
What craft was used? (Knitting, Crochet, Spinning, Weaving)
Knitting
A written description of how your project answers the challenge
I knitted the All Keyed Up hat for The CAN Council. Calhoun Child Abuse/Neglect Prevention Council. Every May the Council hosts a Blue Tie Auction to raise money and I am donating this hat to help with the efforts. My manager is on the Board of Directors. She asked if I would make a couple of projects using Alpaca from my farm for this benefit/auction and this will be one of them. Since the auction isn’t until May, I do not have photos of me giving the project but I have provided a link to the CAN website.
The team tie in is based off of the Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Rings. If only the fellowship had a key, then they would not have struggled trying to find a way to get in the door at the Mines of Moria. The pattern for the All Keyed Up hat reminded me of the Elvish writing on the door that Gandolf is trying to open.

As he looks up at the black night sky, the moon appears. The silver lines grow bright, outlining a door formed of two columns beneath an arch, with a star in the center.
Gandalf: “It reads ‘The Doors of Durin — Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.’”
Merry: “What do you suppose that means?”
Gandalf: “Oh, it’s quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open.”
Gandalf: “Annon Edhellen, edro hi ammen!” (Gate of the Elves, open now for me!)
The Doors remain closed.
Time passes. The rest of the Fellowship is seated around the doors near the lake.
Frodo stands up and looks at the writing on the gateway.
Frodo: “It’s a riddle.”
Frodo: “Speak ‘friend’ and enter. What’s the Elvish word for friend?”
Gandalf: “Mellon…”
The stone doors slowly swing open, rumbling deeply. The Fellowship enters Moria.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous hat and I love your team tie in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab hat--knitting for charity is the best!

    ReplyDelete