Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nerd Wars T4R1 - Geek Pride

Your challenge, should you chose to accept it...and I did:

Challenge (Geek Pride): 

WOVE. TWUE WOVE.

This month’s challenge is to craft an item that symbolizes a past, present, or possible relationship within your nerddom. Whether that relationship is established as canon (Miss Piggy+Kermit), suggested by fans (Castle+Beckett), or merely a character that you love and would happily marry is up to you. Since relationships can get pretty complex, for the purpose of this challenge the word “love” is encompassed in all its forms: from strictly friendly, sisterly/brotherly, crush flirtatious, passing/one-night, passionate, abiding, long-term, all the way up to and including the ever allusive “Twue Wove”.


Rav handle wonderwhygal
Team Name Team Precious
A photo of the completed project
Nerdwars TeamPrecious T4R1 GeekPride.jpg
What craft was used? (Knitting, Crochet, Spinning, Weaving)
Spinning
A written description of how your project answers the challenge
This 262 yard 2ply yarn was created on my Lendrum Spinning wheel using 4.5oz of 100% Polyworth wool. I wanted to use this yarn because of the color which was inspired by the love.  Samwise Gamgee, a character in the Lord of the Rings, is a Hobbit and the gardener to Frodo Baggins in lives in the Shire at Bag End. Sam joins Frodo in the Fellowship of the Ring and journeys through the lands of Middle Earth to destroy the evil ring called Precious. While he is on his journey, he vows that if he ever returns back to the Shire that he will ask Rosie Cotton, a bar maid (in the movie, daughter to Farm Cotton in the books), to marry him. They do get married and eventually have 13 children together ending up living at Bag End. I’ve included a photo of Sam and Rosie from their wedding where Rosie is wearing pretty purple flowers. I’ve also included a photo of the front door of Bag End where purple flowers are growing that have been tended to by Sam. I chose to spin a 2-ply yarn to show the unity between Sam and Rosie.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I currently am working on three more challenges besides my dissertation.  When do I do it?  Lunch time at work, early in the morning before my family wakes up and after the bears go to sleep at night.  Fiber Arts truly is the way that I am learning to be cool, calm and collective.  I'm just fortunate that so much Awesome is created from my Fiber Arts therapy.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed your submission in the thread, it looks gorgeous! I can't wait until my spinning looks that good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, gorgeous spinning, and the colour matches rosies flowers perfectly!

    ReplyDelete