Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WIP Wednesday - Bella's Mittens

I am knitting a pair of mittens for Nerd Wars.  It's part of the Team Spirit Challenge called Winter's Coming.  Of course I had to knit the Bella Mitts from Twilight because it gives me a Winter time item plus totally ties into Vampires for Team Bite Me.

Now here is where it get's tricky.  Instead of commercial yarn, I decided to use the lovely handspun yarn that I created using Farkland that Kelly from Felting Sunshine dyed.  It was a dream to spin and I totally loved her colorway but somewhere in my spinning part of the yarn totally striped how it was supposed to and the rest did a more obvious barber pole/candy stripe look.  Oh, all would be well if it were a hat or shawl because the stripes would gradually fade into each other but with mitts...well, I really don't look like I have a pair.  PLUS I discovered on mitt number two that I did finish my top quite right.  Oops!  Must have been busy talking instead of reading the instructions.  No issue there, I can tear out and reknit but...how do I make this pair match?

Fortunately I have (think I have) enough yarn to knit one more mitt.  So I am casting on and whichever mitt it matches will become the other mitt in the pair and the third mitt will....hmmmm, either get torn out or become part of an oddball set.  It's a fun knit and I am totally LOVING knitting cables.  Woot!  Now...to cast on again.

19 comments:

  1. Your handspun is so gorgeous, I really love seeing people working with the spoils of their wonderful spinning :)

    Hope mitt 3 matches one of the others - wouldn't it be funny if you got something completely new (of, maybe not funny at all!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man yours are way more colorful than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look awesome!! Personally I don't worry too much about the matching, but I give you props for doing a third mitt, that's impressive!! I really want to knit these for myself this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yarn is beautiful! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with @StoriedYarns, I don't care about things like mitts matching perfectly. Yours do look like they go together. :-)

    But I also agree with @PinkUndine... if you got 3 non-matchies you be like Little Miss Matched Socks... 3 socks that don't exactly match. http://www.littlemissmatched.com/Catalog/girls-socks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with Kathyrn...you should see my daughter's sock drawer. I don't think there is one pair alike. I think they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great...oddball...hmmm wonder what you'll do with it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are gorgeous! How fun that they're made with your own handspun. They're fraternal rather than identical twins. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with storiedyarns - they really do look like they go together! I have a very plain pair of Bella's mittens that I completely wore out last winter. I might have to copy you and make a stripey pair - they look gorgeous with all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm chiming in with the other commenters that I wouldn't worry too much about them matching perfectly, as they are so nice and colorful. Yet another visit to your blog and in which I dream that someday I too will be knitting from my own spun yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't they cute? I'd leave them exactly as is and wear them proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Andrea! I got the roving in the mail today -- it looks super! I can't wait to start spinning it ... I might even bump the fabulous purple roving in favor of the WW! (Although now that I have reclaimed my bobbins from the cabled yarn, I can actually do both!)

    Thanks again! I love the WW roving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fan of "fraternal twins" when it comes to mitts and socks, especially when using handspun -- partly because I'm still very likely to shift from striped yarn to barberpoled when I'm plying :-)

    I hope mitt #3 looks like it belongs with one of the others -- no matter what happens, I think the yarn is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the mitts. It's so hard to get matches with handspun yarn. Unless it's a solid color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great, I love the yarn (mmmm, stripes) and have to say that I would probably have declared the non matchingness to be the awesomeness of handspun

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the yarn you are using, it is beautiful. I don't think it matters if they match, that's part of the wonderfulness of home made. Look at you cable!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am way behind on blog reading but must express my love for that yarn!

    ReplyDelete