Friday, November 18, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - Me? Love Orange?

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Another week has passed in a flurry (yes, even snow flurry here in Michigan) of activity.  Spinning, Knitting, Weaving are always on my agenda along with some new felted creations.  So...what are you waiting for?  Share your adventures in Fiber Arts and take a few minutes to enjoy all of the posts of everyone else who has linked in too.

This week I have been busy working on a few projects for Nerd Wars. Ah yes, I am still working on that.  Round two is in full swing and I am thankful to have a holiday weekend coming up so I can make some progress on my challenges. I am working on a new pair of Bella Mitts using some of my handspun Merino in orange.  Maybe it's because hunting season or maybe because I love the color orange...you can pick either but you know very well it's because it's a sassy color, I have chosen this yarn.  It's so different from the Farkland Wool I used for my last pair plus I now understand the pattern so any mistakes, er, artistic adaptations,can be avoided.  Progress has been slow but I am loving how squishy these are so far.

Over the last week or two I've been spinning up some of my Suri Alpaca Blend for a Nerd Wars Intellectual Challenge which involves the Periodic Table (more details in a future post) and the Scientific Challenge which involves anatomy (definitely more details to come).  So...with these four bobbins can you guess what my inspirations are for both challenges?


I am working on another Saori Weaving Mobius Cowl using more of my handspun.  This time I added a few more inches of warp to hopefully get more of the look I want.  I went with more Gray in this cloth but added bits of Orange and Yellow to really make it POP! The last one was great but with each project I learn something new.


I have also been working on more felting.  I created another shawl using the Nuno-Felting technique.  I did learn something with this one.  If you are going to use Panda Top, make sure you have some Merino as a bottom layer.  I found that some of my roving didn't attach to the silk so...I am going to go back and rework a few spots.  Again, with each project you learn something new.  I do have to admit, there is no Orange in this project.  hmmm, maybe that's why it didn't turn out the way I wanted right away ;-)

 Now, share your adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday ! 

To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs

22 comments:

  1. Hahaha...yes...a little orange almost always guarantees success!! Grin.
    Your recent projects are wonderful, and I can't wait for the Periodic Table one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Fiber Arts Friday Andrea! The orange is beautiful, whether it be in mitts or neckwear. Your weaving just gets better every time you post something. Looking forward to hearing about more Nerd Wars progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the orange looks great in that weave. You might not have any in your shawl but you can never go wrong with purple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say, I love all your projects! I've been working with orange myself lately and it's a very happy color. I'm looking at it with new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea! I love your works and colours! I have used a lot orange lately and it's really energy colour! I love your waving - looks exiting and beautiful!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    Beautiful, love orange, really pops out among all the others. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/11/quilts-and-crochet.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking yesterday about how I learn something in every project.

    Often I choose projects to teach me something, but yesterday, I accidentally learned something. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful (but of course, I adore orange too!) Love the bright pink on the bobbin too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, you are amazing! So many beautiful projects. I totally love Nuno felting, but am a little intimidated to try it. I have seen it in person at craft fairs and just love how it looks and feels.

    Your weaving is awesome, too.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your orange is bright and cheerful. I do love your nuno felted shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to see how your orange Bella mitts work up. That yarn is gorgeous! And thanks for the reminder to appreciate the learning moments. Most of mine involve frustration, so it's a good perspective shift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your weaving sooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea, so nice to see how far you've come on the weaving. It's so lovely!
    What, you like orange...who would have guessed it?
    love you,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love orange too! Really digging all the sassy colors of orange in your handspun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well it's official - your orange bella mitts are a hit! You know I think that orange is killer; I'm really loving the weaving as well. Is sister bear still weaving with you?

    And you can dust off that crochet hook anytime. Crochet is hot!

    Have a great turkey day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you make Nerd War sound more and more interesting, I may just have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic site! Thanks for the link opportunity. It will be so much fun to visit these other bloggers. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Summertime fairies in my New Zealand garden. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really? You like orange?? ha ha. Your weaving is turning out great. I like the yellow/orange in it too. Enjoy FAF!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh, anatomy...can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am really tempted to google "bright pink" and "periodic table of the elements..."

    I love the orange, too. Especially in autumn, it reminds me of Thanksgiving and pumpkins and apple cider. Maybe I should eat dinner before posting next time. Looking forward to seeing the next project! I love your weaving.

    ReplyDelete