Friday, September 2, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - To Spindle or Not to Spindle Basket

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Boy, this week sure has flown by so...take a few moments to share your adventures in Fiber Arts and also catch up with other fun adventures by linking in to my post.  This week I am sharing with you the Spindle Basket I wove at the Michigan Fiber Festival this year.  I was super excited to make a basket because my friend Terri has created so many amazing baskets and I wanted to do the same.  I was even more excited because I got to take the class with her so we had a morning to visit and weave together.


It really is amazing what you can create with a handful of reeds.  I wasn't sure what to expect with basket weaving but...it's addictive!  Once we got the first few reeds hooked together I was totally engrossed in the process.

It only took me three hours to make this basket.  Can you believe that?  Three hours!  There aren't a whole lot of fiber arts where you can complete a whole project in just a few hours so I was super excited to create something that I could actually use...in just a few hours.  Woot!


Now I know this post is photo heavy but I wanted to really show the process.  By the way, I am totally going to make more baskets...in different styles.




Weaving...in any form is addictive.







I finally found a use for clothespins that didn't include a potato chip bag ;-)
Really, why would I use them with clothes?  Just kidding.

One of the workshop participants was much faster at weaving that I was and she put her spindle basket to use right away.  I have actually used mine already and it is great.  I can put a few ounces of roving in the basket and just walk around and spin. 

I missed out on the Whine or Wine Basket Workshop which totally bummed me out but it was my own fault for not registering in a timely fashion.  I think that basket will be my next project.  Now...share your adventures in Fiber Arts.

Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:

32 comments:

  1. cool basket! Watch out-its another of those addictive activities-but at least its useful--have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks amazing, I can't believe it only took you 3 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun, Andrea! You are always trying new craft projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that basket. I've never tried weaving baskets, but that looks like fun. Is it quite physical?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really pretty basket Andrea. Those classes must have been pretty popular. I was curious myself, what the finished basket looked like when I read the class description. I know you'll get many years of enjoyment from it knowing that it came from your own hands. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see the process of making teh basket, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally blown away with the awesome! Such a neat basket and it looks like a fun activity too. I might have to find some more info on it, fibre and yarn look extra gorgeous tucked into woven baskets

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was fantastic and impressive! You should come over and fix my chair that the birds have picked apart. ^_~ Just kidding. That chair is beyond saving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your basket. It looks fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great and fun and highly addictive. I'd love to try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome!

    I've always wanted to weave a basket, so now I may just have to find myself a class too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome thing to learn!! Great basket!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool is that?!! I want to try weaving but if it's half as addicting as spinning I'm going to be in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always wanted to give basket making a try! My Grandma does it, crafty lady that she is, and last time I visited her the girls and I came away with about 5 hand-made basket. One is now my knitting basket and I always think of my Grandma when I see it. Your basket looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are way too talented, lady! Beautiful (and useful!) basket -

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your basket is awesome!!!! I'm trying not to pay TOO much attention, though, because I do NOT need a new crafty hobby, LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love knowing how to do lots of things, you never know when a particular little skill will come in handy! Great job on your basket, I'd love to know how to do that :)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is SO cool! I don't think I've ever seen a basket in progress before. And it turned out beautifully! Must go google...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I should get back to basket weaving. But I dumped all my supplies a few years ago. Just didn't have a room to have it set up, and who wants to drag it all out when the mood hits! One of these days, after a child flies the coop, I am going to have a craft room! This house's extra room went to the Hubster for a bar. He deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the basket is beautiful! in high school we did some baskets out of folded up or rolled up newspapers in one of my art classes, and I always wanted to make one for real - I think I'll have to now that I've seen yours! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hear you on the instant gratification thingy. :) Way to go on finding another way to weave.

    Have a great, restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, that's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. Have a great long holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear WonderWhyGal,
    Would you adopt me so that I can hang out with and absorb knowledge from all the cool things you do?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that's AWESOME and so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so impressed... again. ;)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always been curious about basket weaving, thank you for the detailed pictures. Would fiber or yarn get caught on the basket? or do you have to line it?

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is a very squee video of an alpaca and a kitten on LOLcatz ...http://icanhascheezburger.com/2011/09/02/funny-pictures-videos-alpaca-meets-kitten/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fun! I love the shape of your basket and its usefullness. Thanks for the detailed photos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So cool. You make it look very easy. I love baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OH MY GOSH where can I get one of those?!?! I refuse to take up another hobby, so DIY is not an option. What a genius idea! I've already broken 2 spindles in the last few months, so I need something protective like that!

    ReplyDelete