Friday, September 30, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - Nerd Wars, Yes, Nerd Wars

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  What topic shall we share this week?  Will it be knitting, spinning, weaving, crochet, sewing, felting...ah, the fiber arts ideas are limitless so I shall do what I do best and leave you wondering "why".  I have joined Nerd Wars. After waiting for what seemed an eternity, I was chosen to be on Team Bite Me.  Yes, my love for vampires apparently outweighed my love for Middle Earth and the vampire team got me instead of Team Precious (where I have kindly offered to be this tournament's Smeagle). 
This is my new Ravatar.

October 1, tomorrow, begins the newest tournament in Nerd Wars.  For the months of October, November and December I will be making projects that fit the theme of my team where we will earn points against other teams such as the Dr. Who lovin' Team Tardis, the Star Trek lovin' Team Enterprise, the Braaaains Team who love zombies, the Firefly/Serenity lovin' team called Browncoats, and...well, you get the idea.  We will make projects that fit our team themes in categories such as charity, science, nerd culture, intellectual, technical and team spirit.  Apparently we can also be very creative as to how our projects fit these categories while maintaining the theme of the team.  What do I get out of it?  Nothing more than having a bunch of fun with people who share my enjoyment of, well this time, vampire books and movies while making various fiber arts projects.

So, as I reach in to find my inner nerd (which apparently isn't a deep search) I will be sharing with you the fun of Team Bite Me.  Wait!  This sounds like fun?  Well, hop on over to Ravelry and check out Nerd Wars.  You might be inspired to knit cool projects like the R2D2 Beanie.

In the meantime, as I impatiently wait for my first Nerd Wars challenge, I am still busy working on my weaving, spinning and knitting.  Sock one is done of Shelter and I am already a couple of inches into the ribbing of Sock two.

New yarns are in the works.  Right now one ply of my Alpaca and one ply of gorgeous Merino hand dyed by CJ Kopek are ready to be plyed and I'm still plugging away on my weaving.  I get a few inches done a night.


Spin, knit, weave is how I spend my unwind time each night.  Now...share your adventures in fiber arts.
Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
 Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  1. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs

27 comments:

  1. I love the whole idea of nerd wars - I've not joined because I have a bad habit of not wanting to work on something when I feel I have to, or if there is a deadline ;) I'll be interested to see your projects though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea your weaving project is amazing! Love the color and sparkle. The Nerd Wars sounds like a load of fun. Makes me think about how much I enjoyed the Dish Rag Tag the couple of years I participated. Good luck on your projects. Your sock looks great. I'm always impressed by your color combinations. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to check out the Nerd Wars, I did a Tardis Kindle Cover for my Daughter for here birthday. I may link that post also this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool, sounds like so much fun, but I would have to be teambrowncoat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely bobbins! Congratz on the sock.

    I'll check out Nerd Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nerd Wars sounds like fun! Will have to check it out.

    Lovely looking yarn, sock and weaving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on Team Hellmouth. It's loads of fun. See you there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun, colorful sock!! Have fun with Nerd Wars!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you are just trying to suck me into weaving, aren't you! OK, what is your recommendation for a first time table top loom? I understand warps and wefts, but have never set up a loom myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous looking fiber as always, good luck with the nerd wars, I'll be rootin for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lookin' good! I resisted Nerd Wars this time around b/c I'm going crazy with other obligations, but I may seriously have to check it out after the New Year!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh, finally an explaination of Nerd Wars I can understand. ;-)

    It sounds like fun but I have to agree with Pinkundine. I prefer not to knit under a schedule.

    I am looking forward to what you come up with over the next few months. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, while I'm not quite a Nerd Wars gal, I love, love, love the new ravatar! And speaking of love, those three top spindles are gorgeous! I can't wait to see that plied. Seriously.

    BTW, I wrote my post first this am before coming here - funny how we like to unwind with yarn at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!
    Beautiful color of yarn for your sock. This weaving is awesome. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/09/fibers-on-friday_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nerd Wars sounds like fun!! I should tell my sister, she loves making Tardis and Firefly themed crochet projects. I am a needle felter myself, but would love to try weaving, looks like fun :) ~April

    ReplyDelete
  16. I swear you are trying to trick/tempt me into weaving aren't you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your projects look lovely. Nerd wars sounds like a lot of fun, but I think I will have to join in the next round, once the A-Z socks are done

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always wondered about what Nerd War was all about. Can't wait to see what you make for the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My New Zealand friend is a great sewer, thought I would share her little dolls, she dyes the wool felt herself, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  20. How have I managed to miss Nerd Wars?!? That is full of awesome. I can't wait to see what you end up making.
    Also, thanks for the link to the R2D2 beanie. I know exactly what hat my R2 loving 5 year old will be wearing this winter...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your spinning and weaving. Still having loom envy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like we'll be seeing some interesting projects in your Nerd War. Have fun!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your spinning and weaving projects are beautiful, as always. I love the color of the weaving!

    Nerd Wars should be a lot of fun. I have been playing in the Harry Potter Knit & Crochet House Cup for a couple of years -- I just love the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You always display the most beautiful yarn colors! I feel so drab in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What beautiful colors and love the socks! Thanks for stopping by and yes, I love those little grand kids!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your sock looks great...nice new ravatar.

    Missed you tonight at YLYS...it was pretty quiet.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi- would like to participate in Nerd wars. Let me what sort of thing I should knit. Something weird I suppose. Please let me know and I shall participate.
    nitya from nityakalyani-kalmat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete