Friday, September 9, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - Dye Day

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Yes, it's Friday again and after a short work week, it's time to pick up that Fiber Arts Momentum started during the long last weekend. Knit, Weave, Spin, Crochet, Sew, Felt, Dye...are all parts of the Fiber Arts Fun we share each week and this week I am going to share a Day of Dyeing.

After the Michigan Fiber Festival was over, I realized that I had sold all of my colorful yarn and all that was left was the natural colors.  I adore my natural colored yarns but...color sells so my daughter, Sister Bear, and my friend, Dawn aka Knitamazoo, helped transform my kitchen from the room that doesn't cook into one hot cookin' room full over colorful pans of yarn and socks.  


I had a bunch of roaster pans that used to be my Dads which were the perfect size to heat up the fun.  I typically use Vinegar as a mordant but decided to switch to Citric Acid and I am so happy I did.  The kitchen and house didn't have the overwhelming vinegar smell.  By the way, I use Jacquard Acid Dyes. 

I did find that I have a few skeins I will need to fix.  Unfortunately, the strings that tied them together were a bit tight which caused a stripe of the original color to pop through.  Argh!  I don't consider myself a dyer although I do enjoy dying so I have a lot to learn and most of that is through trial and error.  Overall I am very happy with the results and now I have more color yarns to add to my shop and to sell at the upcoming festivals in October.  Now...share your adventures in Fiber Arts.


Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:

31 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a whole lot of beautiful colour. I find the strings can be a pain too, it can be a little disappointing to have to start over

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love seeing all the freshly dyed yarn hanging up, looks like a gorgeous rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I love the pictures of all the lovely colourful yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its my first time participating in this meme. Thank you for hosting it.. :-)

    Love the colors you have dyed..esp the pinks and purples..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dyeing fun with the family...how wonderful!
    I recently bought some more acid dyes and plan on trying some more dyeing in the months ahead, as I (hah) find time! :)
    P.S. Andrea, I think we should make a '5 degrees of Dawn Edwards' game, since she seems to know or 'know of' everyone in the felting world!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet you had a great time. Dying yarn in a group is so much fun. Like the time we all dyed yarn at Heidi's house. Your colors came out so vibrant. Can't wait to see the finished yarns. Have a very happy Fiber Arts Friday Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd much rather share YOUR Friday post. Like, get my hands on some of that gorgeous yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Moley! you were busy-what a wonderful riot of color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhhh, the pictures of all that colour are wonderful!! Looks like a very good time to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your dyed yarns look gorgeous, i love the pinks

    ReplyDelete
  11. alksfjd Just looking at all those skeins is making me drool a little. I was just experimenting with Kool-Aid dyeing earlier this week, dyeing is like magic. Your yarns look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, look at all the pretty colors! Your yarn is very inviting. I bet you'll be needing to dye up a bunch more very quickly, cause these will fly out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    Beautiful colors! They are all so vivid. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/09/fibers-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love the dye party! And I know it looks like a lot of yarn now ... but wait till you start selling it. It will go sooooo quickly. You might need one more dyeing party quicker than you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You were lucky to have such a great team -- you accomplished a lot of beautiful work!

    I sometimes use the ties on the skeins deliberately to create areas where the dye penetration is lessened or mostly eliminated. I've had some fun with variegating yarn this way, or creating speckles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a lot of yarn dyeing in one day, they look so beautiful hanging up. I've only dyed yarn with food colorings. It's so fun but can be so messy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy dye time! Love all the yarns. I can't wait until my mill yarn comes back to dye my weekends away. Gosh I've been such a fiber slacker lately but with the loss of our cria I haven't been feeling the desire to play.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh such pretty colors! I don't have the nerve to do more than one pot at a time...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun day you girls must have had. Can't wait to see those beautiful yarns in person.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spring blossom abounds in my garden. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! How beautiful your yarn is. Did you spin most of it? Lovely colors

    ReplyDelete
  22. Luscious colors! I'll take two of each...maybe three!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, those colors are amazing! Where did you get citric acid? I use Jacquard too, when I'm not using Kool Aid. You really went all out! That's a lot of skeinage. It looks lovely in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what fabulous colors!!! I love your wood drying racks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is some serious productivity! (and great color) I need your dye team to come and visit my house :)

    ReplyDelete