Wednesday, August 17, 2011

WIP Wednesday - Shelter

Now that I've finished my first pair of socks, I have already embarked on the second sock journey.  This pair won't have the beautiful chart to follow and will hopefully allow me more talk time (because I always need more talk time) while knitting.  The yarn is a beautiful limited edition yarn called Shelter dyed by Jill June of Studio June in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  She created this colorway as part of a fundraiser during WWKIP (World Wide Knit in Public Day) to raise money for the Haven of Rest in Battle Creek, Michigan.

Not only did I purchase a skein for myself but a wonderful nurse I work with asked me to purchase a skein for her too.  I told her, in my excitement of learning to knit socks, that I would knit her a pair.  Slowly the ribbing is coming along.  It will be a simple knit sock so it should go much faster than before. I think the hardest part will be giving them away once completed.

Now I didn't make too much progress this week because my main focus was finishing my Walking on Sunshine Sock (see Sunday's post) and finishing my handwoven scarf (wait for Fiber Arts Friday for that) so it's been an amazing productive Fiber Arts Week (and it's only Wednesday). 

Now...to finish my coffee and get over to registration.  The Michigan Fiber Festival begins today!  I am taking the "Lets Just Bag It" felting class with Suzanne Higgs of Hooked on Felt.  SQUEAL!


14 comments:

  1. I admire anyone that knits socks! Maybe one day I'll be brave enough... I so love the colors of the yarn, and it seems to be striping itself perfectly (at 1st I thought you were doing the color changes until I really looked at the ball of yarn)

    So cool (about the Fiber Festival) I wish I could go to things like that maybe next year (hubby goes to school out of state and have no one to watch my 3 monsters) Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so kind to make socks for others! Great colorway.

    Can't wait to hear about your class - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn is lovely, and you are a better knitter than me, I can't bring myself to give away socks apart from chunky 6 ply boot socks for family, only one other pair has been given away in 3 years!
    Looking forward to hearing your tales from the fibre festival

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yarn is striping beautifully :) I'm with alittlebitsheepish - I don't know if I could make socks for others (boyfriend being the exception!) I want them all to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the second pair of socks will be great and I wish I could have been in your neck of the woods for the festival. Have a blast!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this yarn, looks amazing! Can't wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great colours. I love how the reds are arranging themselves into little stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That doesn't look like a cup of coffee you're holding in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laced coffee?

    I love that yarn, the colourway is stunning, the stripes with the big band of colour.

    Have fun at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors in that yarn you're using.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun yarn! And I'm super jealous about your felting class. Enjoy it! Also, pictures, please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for stopping by. Fiber Festival is rockin' so I only have a few moments. I promise to visit all of your Wednesday posts as soon as I can. I will have tons of my felting photos...tomorrow is weaving day. HOORAY!

    ReplyDelete