Sunday, July 3, 2011

Tour de Fleece 2011 -

I love the beginning of the Tour de Fleece!  Why?  Well, it falls on a holiday weekend so I get an extra day to enjoy my favorite fiber arts passion, it's usually hot so my family spends it by the pool which happens to be surrounded by Alpaca pastures and it brings together tons of people who also enjoy the wonder of spinning yarn together.

I started the Tour de Fleece off  this year by spinning from my herdsire, Midnight Magic's Mystery.  I am far from completing the yarn for this project but I ran out of him so...I have more of his fleece drying so I can create more.  So far I have 5oz of Mystery spun.  My goal is to have a light fingering weight yarn and if I get enough yardage...I hope to have a special shawl created out of him.

Day Two found me spinning on one of my fiber boys, SpinSanity of Wonder.  I could almost spin his fleece straight from the locks, he is so fine but...I have run him through the drum carder a couple of times.  I am planning on plying him with Suri that I will be spinning tomorrow. I got about 6oz done.  Since tomorrow is my last day of the holiday weekend, I hope to get lots accomplished before I go back to work.

So far the discussion amongst the Team of Wonder has been a lot of fun and lots of bobbins are being filled with Alpaca.  I am enjoying all of the fun fiber talk.  More importantly, I am enjoying the time I get to spend with my family, my Alpacas and my spinning wheel this weekend.  It has been the perfect long weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely spinning, and spinning by the pool in hot weather sounds heavenly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are off to a flying start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea--I'm so glad you're enjoying every moment of this special weekend! You're always so busy, I know it's a joy to have such an extended family/creative time! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photo collages. The spinning wheel by the pool is so inviting and I'm loving the subtle color variations on the white alpaca. What a gorgeous fleece. You don't happen to have any of that for sale in your etsy shop do you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you ever show the alpaca the yarn/finished project and tell them "This is from YOU!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather - I needed this weekend more than I realized. I'm going to work with a better attitude today.

    Jenn - Send me a convo on Etsy or via Ravelry and we'll talk. Yes, I do.

    Beth - I wore my knitted Confetti hat out to the barn and Confetti just ignored me. Apparently she likes her fleece better on herself than on me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy spinning! So pretty, glad you had some time to relax with fiber!

    ReplyDelete