Saturday, June 4, 2011

Girls on the Run 2011

Sister Bear competed in the GOTR (Girls on the Run) 5K on Thursday at Binder Park Zoo.  I am so proud of her and not because she was fast or even because she competed in the race; I am proud of her because of the positive self-awareness she has gained through the program this year.  I see it in her smile and in her walk.

From the GOTR Website:

The Girls on the Run Program
 

Mission
To educate and prepare girls for a life time of self-respect and healthy living.


About
Girls on the Run® is a life-changing, experiential learning programs for girls age eight to thirteen years old. The programs combine training for a 3.1 mile running event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts. The goals of the programs are to encourage positive emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical development.


Objectives
The objective of Girls on the Run is to educate and empower girls at an early age in order to prevent the display of at-risk activities in the future. At risk activities include substance/alcohol use, eating disorders, early onset of sexual activity, sedentary lifestyle, depression, suicide attempts and confrontations with the juvenile justice system.

  It's the second year that she has been in the program and participated in the 5K.  After each practice I would pick Sister Bear up on my way home from work and she would talk to me about all the topics that were discussed during that day's meetup.  Many times our discussion would go all the way to bedtime with more questions that she may have for me or stories she had to share. 

Last year was a rough year for my darling daughter and she almost didn't race or even complete the program but this year has been a remarkable year in our relationship at home and her relationships with classmates at school.  This year's GOTR program hit just the right buttons needed for self growth.  I have to admit, I've learned a lot from that bear.


Even Brother Bear got into the spirit of the day.  He wanted to give his sister a flower for being an awesome runner.  He also asked if he could run with her next year.

I have to laugh at the energy my bear had on race day.  She was up at the crack of dawn ready to go even though the race didn't start until 6:30pm then as soon as she finished the race, she took a swig of her Gatorade then headed for the bouncy room line.  Where does all of that energy come from?


I love you, Sister Bear!

6 comments:

  1. Good Job on your race, and GOTR season Sister Bear!

    I LOVE the socks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great programme and congrats on finishing the race sister bear (I don't think I could make it to the end of 5k!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they could just bottle it and sell it! Kudos to the Bear for being an awesome Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to admit, I too love the knee socks! Sounds like a great program ... and if it keeps Bears talking until bedtime ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the socks too. I asked Sister Bear if I could borrow them and her response, "Knit your own, Mommy!" Out of the mouth of babes. Of course it was said with a hug. Little Stinker.

    ReplyDelete