Friday, June 24, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - Weaving Week?

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Each week Fiber Artists from around the world meet here to share their adventures in Fiber Arts.  So...what are you waiting for?  Link your Fiber Arts Blog in and share in the fun.  If you visit, please leave a comment.  We bloggers crave comments and followers.

Where on earth did this week go?  I know that Summer officially started but honestly the week went by so fast I barely remember it.  We've had some major rain here which has caused extra barn chore work due to muddy poo piles.  Ah, the day in the life of a farmer.  I haven't spun any yarn on my wheel all week because I have been obsessed with my weaving plus I'm decorating Frodo (details and pics in a future post).  I warped my loom with Alpaca fingering weight yarn and I'm weaving with 100% Silk lace weight yarn.

Last weekend I had a little weaving discussion with Terri and Melissa, who I weave with, where we discussed weaving techniques.  Terri had a chance to participate in a weaving webinar last month and she shared with us a bunch of techniques she learned and answers she got regarding questions we have been struggling with.  Apparently we have been beating our yarn a wee bit too much when weaving which causes a stiffer end product. As you have seen from my prior weaving projects, they are beautiful but...not always having the look or feel I really hoped for. 

With that in mind, I am weaving my silk a lot looser than I have in the past. If you look at the photo you can actually see the space between the yarn.  I am super curious how this will turn out once it's off of the loom and washed.  Keeping in my shrinkage from actually being off of the loom plus what happens when washed, I totally have a vision of what I want it to be, now the question is...will it be the way I want it to be.  As I am weaving my silk is moving a bit which means I am not keeping everything straight.  This may or may not fix itself.  It's so frustrating having to wait to see the result but until I take it off the loom I won't know for sure how this will look which is totally different than my past projects.  I do know that I should get a very drapy scarf which is the intention.

As always, I must leave you with Alpaca photos.  Here is my adorable Sexy Rexy of Wonder working the 4H Obstacle training with my even more adorable Sister Bear.  The county fair is only a few weeks away and the two of them have a lot of work to do.  Now...share your adventures in fiber arts.

Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:

23 comments:

  1. The weaving is looking wonderful and I am loving the halter training pics, did he make it over the seesaw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Fiber Arts Friday! Looks like you've been super busy this week too. I agree that it flew by faster than weeks past. Must be the time of the year. We look forward to nice weather for so long and it seems so fleeting. Glad you survived that storm on Tuesday, it as a whopper wasn't it? Best of luck with your weaving project, it sounds like it will be very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, silk and alpaca - my favourite! I hope the silk behaves as you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Summer and Fiber Arts Friday! Although, it's hardly been summer-like here. Rain and more rain. Maybe that's the new summer.
    Glad to see you're still busy weaving and also glad you weathered your storm. We had a whopper yesterday with flooding in parts of the area.

    Have a great weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely weaving, and I know what you mean about not getting to one hobby or the other, there's not enough time for all the hobbies I'd love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Andrea, the week has rather flown hasn't it. It is freezing here in South Africa, I wish it would snow, then maby it would feel that all this cold would be worth it:) The weaving looks lovely, I have always wanted to try weaving, I was thinking of a table loom? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    Warmly
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What if you puff some steam at it from an iron before you take it off? Will that help settle it a bit more for you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just lovely - I'm sure it'll be gorgeous! Sexy Rexy and Sister Bear are an adorable pair too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your weavings looking great. I just love the pics of Sexy Rexy and Sister Bears in that outfit of hers. Wonder where she gets her sense of style?

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo, definately looking forward to the result of that alpaca+silk... even if it doesn't end up how you envision, I bet it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how your weaving looks, really beautiful! What size loom are you using? I can't wait to see it finished. That looks like a lot of hard work sister bear is taking on, she's a chip off the old block!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's fun to experiment. Each 'tweak' will result in you being more and more confident in future weaving projects! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy the weekend. And Sister Bear looks like she is doing a great job on the obstacles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing children with animals. It's a great learning experience for both of them, and they look so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your weaving posts! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wee Folk Art have been sweet to have one of my Needle felted Cover journal books as a giveaway. Cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely weaving ... I have a small loom that I've barely used, and every time I see your weaving posts I want to get it out, but I was a terrible weaver. My selvedges were just awful! But I've also got all this yarn I need to use ... what to do, what to do ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whew! Lovin' all of the comments. Where to begin?
    Fiona - Yes, he made it but he needs to learn stair next. Yikes!
    Linda - I am using a Cricket Loom right now and have a floor loom I'll be setting up next. I don't have any experience with table looms but have to admit, I love the portability of the rigid heddle loom and the lower cost.
    Lindsay - I plan to use the iron in steam mode anyways so we'll see how that turns out. The silk is so slippery...even more than when I was using my Suri to weave.
    Melissa - You know her mother is a total rock star ;-) Of course the style comes from me, tehehe
    Beth - My selvedges aren't the greatest but I will wear anything I make with sass plus with each project I get better. I have a bunch of charity scarves I've been weaving (that haven't been blogged about) where I use those acrylic yarns to practice.

    Thank you everyone for visiting each week, linking in and commenting. We have such a fun and wonderful group and I love how it has grown and keeps changing. Keep on posting your amazing adventures. I learn from you as much as you learn from me.

    Sending lots of Alpaca love and hugs to all of my blogging friends xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry for being so late to the party. My internet has been out all day due to storms. Love the weaving scoop WWG. Nice to be back to thinking of something fiber-y. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, better late than never to this Friday's round of fiber adventures. I love the pics of Sexy Rexy and your sister bear - how adorable are they together?!!! I loved seeing the alpacas go through the obstacle course last September - I wish her good luck.

    And I'm with Kathryn Ray - silk + alpaca = scarf love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your woven piece looks so delicately beautiful. You are doing beautiful work!
    Happy Weekend!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Howdy! How are you? I'm finally getting a chance to make the blog rounds, I've missed seeing what everyone was up to & finished each week. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things, but you know what it's like, there are just not enough hours in the day/week/month to get everything done! So I'm a few days late, but better late then never. I always like seeing your weaving!

    ReplyDelete