Friday, June 3, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - Fiber Arts Friends

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Each week Fiber Artists from around the world meet here to share their adventures in Fiber Arts.  So...what are you waiting for?  Link your Fiber Arts Blog in and share in the fun.  If you visit, please leave a comment and join the Fiber Arts Fun!

A few weeks back I visited the Michigan Fiber Fiesta with Melissa whose blog is  Needle and Wheel Designs who also owns Lissabeth Alpacas and works at my favorite local yarn shop, Your Local Yarn Shop but most importantly has been a wonderful friend.  Really, with credentials like those she should be...just kidding.  She is an amazing lady and super fun to have around for a day full of fiber arts.  If you haven't had a chance to read her blog or follow her, you should.  Every time I turn around I am learning about more talents that she has either mastered or dabbled in.

Anyways, we left our farms for the day to check out this event which was in it's second year.  What we found out is that we are two well-connected ladies.  Between the two of us, we knew just about every in building.  We spent the day catching up with fellow fiber artists and meeting some of our blogging and Ravelry friends for the first time in person.  Twirly Curly Bird aka Melissa Plank who also contributes to Fiber Arts Friday via her Curly Bird Express blog was one of the vendors along with Tamara Miller from Via Verde Farm, whose blog you will also find linked in on most Fridays.  Now, Tamara and I have known each other for quite some time because of the Alpaca community but Melissa is someone who I have admired from afar.

Now Melissa only lives about two hours from me but it seems likes more since I never seem to make the various Spinning meetups that the Grand Rapids Area Spinners have.  I love the yarns she creates and the beautiful colors she dyes and sells in her Etsy shop.   Her color palette and mine are definitely not the same but I am always longing to play with her creations.  I finally got to see these colors in person and her photos keep true to the beautiful colors and textures she promotes.  I bought one of her kits in colors that are un-Andrea like.  The Art Yarn kit included an art batt, braid of wool and dyed tulle.  The goal was for me to break away from my traditional yarn and experiment with different textures.  Here is the LINK to what Melissa created with the same kit last December and as you can see from the photos I'm posting today, I came up with a totally different yarn.   I ended up with 200 yards of two-ply yarn full of tulle bows that I plyed into the yarn and lots of textured "nubbys".  I would spin thick then thin and just let whatever the art batt had in it drive the thickness of the singles so when I plyed the yarn I ended up with a very inconsistent but lively yarn.

Now, I am totally bored with scarves but I envision either a sassy cowl or a funky hat being knitted out of this yarn.  It was a lot of fun and I think I am going to experiment with her dyed cocoons to add to my yarn next. 

I am so happy to have finally met another amazing blogging and Ravelry friend.  Fiber Festivals, no matter the size, are a perfect place to meet up.  One day I hope to meet you too. Now...share your adventures in Fiber Arts!


Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival! 


To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:

20 comments:

  1. Love Melissa's work too! Looks like you had a fun time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your yarn looks beautiful! I was really pleased to meet you too, it made my day! Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your kind words. You are a great inspiration to me.You help get me out of my comfort zone. But cocoons, YIKES, I might just have to skip this item!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible! Melissa's scarf is off the charts gorgeous!
    It's so fabulous to make some many connections in the fiber world.
    I recently joined a knitting guild and it's just inspirational to be among so many talented people.
    That's also the best reason for being part of the FAF community too.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to get out more. Most of my fiber friends I only know virtually. I wish I had more time to see folks in person!

    I vote for a hat! I too am bored with neck related items I think it's time for heads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What FUN!! I love that feeling...of having friends at every fiber event!! I tease my family that one of the biggest thrills of any S&W is that 'my peeps' are there!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful yarns!!!
    Hey guess what? You just WON! I need your shipping address please! ;)
    http://www.lapdogcreations.com/2011/06/giveaway-winner-prefense-hand-sanitizer.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love being able to meet people that I only know from afar. It's almost a celebrity experience. ;-)

    It sounds like you girls had a great time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun!!! I just got to meet a long-time fiber friend in person last weekend, too, and it was a blast!!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the meet-in! It's definitely awesome to put face to blog.

    I'm with Dutch Hollow - go with a sassy hat, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every year I either arrange or just bump into some familiar names at Stitches West. I correspond with people on Ravelry, blogs, email groups, and it's always fun to meet up in real life. Hope to meet you one day, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful yarn! It sounds like you had a great time. I wish there were more events like that around where I live...maybe someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that yarn! (and think it would make an amazing hat)
    I love meeting up with fiber friends! I have a lifetime goal to eventually meet as many of my internet fiber friends as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had fun, and I like the yarn you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely spinning and sounds like a great day

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh I love it! A cowl or hat, yes ... maybe trim around a shawl? Glad to hear you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That yarn looks amazing, I can't wait to see what you turn it into. "Inconsistent but lively" is a description that's making me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful yarn. You are making me want to go get tulle and try spinning some art yarn. You are lucky to have so many blogging friends that live close enough to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always admired the uniqueness of art yarns and yours is beautiful. I can totally picture it knit up as a cowl.

    ReplyDelete