Friday, May 20, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - Spinning, knitting and Walking on Sunshine

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Each week Fiber Artists from around the world meet here to share their adventures in Fiber Arts.  So...what are you waiting for?  Link your Fiber Arts Blog in and share in the fun.  If you visit, please leave a comment and join the Fiber Arts Fun!

Over the last couple of weeks I have been totally obsessed with knitting my first pair of socks using the Walking on Sunshine pattern written by KellyJ.  I finished the first sock during the week then cast on it's mate.  Kelly told me that I would notice a major difference between the first and second sock as I learned to knit with the small needles and she wasn't kidding.  Look how tight this second sock is starting compared to the first.

I am super excited to know that I am over the halfway point of knitting my first pair of socks.  I've already decided that I am going to knit this same pattern but with different yarns as soon as these are done.  In retrospect, I wish I hadn't picked two varigated yarns to knit  with because it's a bit hard to see the beautiful pattern but then again, it really makes it look like I knit super difficult too.

I also found time, since it rained so much this weekend, to clean out my fiber closet and sort my stash.  I have a whole bin of just sock yarn.  For a person who never knit a pair of socks or even used small needles, I have enough sock yarn to open a small store.  Well...I guess I will have plenty of yarn choices for future socks now.

I also found time to spin more yarn.  Over the last few weeks I've been filling my bobbins up and I finally got around to plying them using different techniques.  All of the yarns were spun from Art Batts of Wonder that I created from my herd.  So...now it's time for you to share your adventures in Fiber Arts.  Thank you for visiting my blog, leaving your wonderful comments and linking in your adventures.

Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival! 

To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:

29 comments:

  1. I wish I had all your yarn. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your socks! And your stash of yarn has some really pretty colors, I think you are set for a "few" pairs of socks now! I would love to see your spun batts....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice stash! Like the socks-I still haven't tried to make them-they seem too hard to wrap my head around the directions-gotta take a class I guess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay on the first sock! It looks fantastic. I have not cast on yet, maybe I can KAL with your second pair.
    Also yummy yarn, stash clearing is kind of fun, a chance to squeeze all the yarniness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratz on your sock! Wow, that's a beautiful pile of yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you that the bad weather resulted in a 'super-organized Andrea'! Isn't it wonderful to have tons of stash?!? Now you can visualize your next sock project as you're busy doing other things! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yarn in the top picture looks great and I love your socks. That's the best color combo I've seen in socks. The green is so spring-like and cheery. I finally got that blue batt spun/plied you'll see it on my blog today. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've linked myself, because I have managed to finish my very own first pair of socks! So I thought I'd join in and say that yours look much better than mine do ;) I'm now coveting lots of sock yarn, so I'm jealous of your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your socks are gorgeous. I love the colours. I have sock envy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those socks are great! gee I just started on a very basic sock pattern, look at you go :-) Love all the spinning and how rewarding to be your own fleece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your socks look amazing! I am also busy knitting one of my first pairs of socks, I really want to learn how to cast on and knit two at a time though. Your spinning is amazing, wow!
    Have a wonderful weekend dear Andrea,
    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at that huge bin of sock yarn. It should keep your hands busy and feet warm for a long time coming. :-)

    Congratulations on the sock progress! I think once I get thru a few of my WIPs, I may knit my first pair of socks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the socks. I'm not even done with the my first cuff yet. My Chadwick shawl was letting me know it wanted to be completed. Just done it done yesterday so now I can concentrate on the socks again.

    Don't forget sock yarn makes beautiful shawls!

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an amazing accomplishment for your first sock! Brava!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those socks are wonderful! And they do look super tricky to knit! (So glad to have had a chance to visit with you and Melissa at the Fiber Fiesta!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Colorwork on your first pair of socks proves you are a knitting superstar on the rise. They are gorgeous!

    Have you ever posted "how to" advice on spinning alpaca fiber or spinning from your batts of wonder? I haven't spun alpaca fiber before and would be very interested in learning more about what works.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! The Key to Warmth would be perfect for my blue/brown handspun. Do you think it would work given that the two skeins are different weights?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The finished sock looks fantastic!
    I find it interesting how your experience between first and second sock was opposite of mine (first sock SUPER tight, second much looser).
    Then again when I was a new knitter, I knit very, VERY tightly.

    Seriously, one of these days I'm going to start spinning. . . Your stash of handspun is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, look at that sock yarn stash! I have yet to knit or crochet any socks. Socks are so not my thing. I could definitely find some lovely shawl projects for all that sock yarn. :)

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome to the world of socks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Socks! Never made any myself, at least not for feet larger than a 6 month old lol! Can't wait to see what you create from all that stash!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Look at you go with your first pair of socks! awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely socks!
    My first pair of socks had terrible ladders. I've gotten better :-)

    If you don't want to knit socks with all that sock yarn, there's a great book called "Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders" that uses sock yarn for shawls, scarves, hats, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I am a needle felter from New Zeland using our beautiful wool, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good job on the socks. Are all those skeins in the photo ones you have spun?

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad to get caught up with the fiber world! I have lots of sock yarns too and haven't knitted a pair of socks in couple of years. Small shawls are all the rage right now, they need only 300 - 400 yards of fingering weight, perfect for a skein of sock yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's a great first pair of socks. I'm impressed that you knit your first pair in 2 colors. It cracks my up that you have a big sock yarn stash without having used small needles before! We love our stashes, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Drooling over your yarn-y stash pics! (and thinking that my stash is officially run amok!)
    Your socks look great - it is sort of funny how the first pair turns out, isn't it? I still have the first sock I knit, which never actually got a second sock to pair with it. (good indication of my permanent "second sock" affliction)

    ReplyDelete