Friday, April 1, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - Knitting and Crochet Blog Week - Day 5

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Each week Fiber Artists from around the world meet here to share their adventures in Fiber Arts.  So...what are you waiting for?  Link your Fiber Arts Blog in and share in the fun.  If you visit, please leave a comment and join the Fiber Arts Fun!

This week I've been participating in the 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week.  Each day a topic is give or a question is asked for you to answer.  I've been busy (in my spare time -bahahaha) visiting many fiber arts blogs that weren't on my radar.  It's been a lot of fun and I want to thank EskimimiKnits for creating this fun event.  This year's questions really focused on us reflecting how we have grown as a knitter/crocheter.  It really is amazing to think that I've only been a fiber arts fanatic for a couple of years.  Today's topic is one I am going to skip because I feel that I bring the quirky to fiber arts every week and definitely push my creativity plus my hosting Fiber Arts Friday is a unique way of presenting fiber arts.

Day Five: 1st April. And now for something completely different This is an experimental blogging day to try and push your creativity in blogging to the same level that you perhaps push your creativity in the items you create.
There are no rules of a topic to blog about but this post should look at a different way to present content on your blog. 

So...what did I do this week? This week I made progress in a few of my projects.  After bellyaching for a couple of months about sewing the lining in the bags I made on my Cricket Loom, I admitted defeat and handed them over to my friend Kim's Mom to sew.  I enjoyed weaving the fabric so much and actually didn't mind the hand stitching of the fabric but instead of turning a great project into a dreaded chore, I decided having someone who enjoys sewing help would make the bags perfect.  I also sent a bunch of mending I've been dreading her way too.  

Earlier this week I posted a photo of the Leno Lace I've been working on (re-posting the photo).  I feel pretty comfortable with that technique so this weekend I will finish off the rest of the warp on my loom so I can finally start my towels.  I've decided on my colors but you will have to wait until next week for that.  I found that I don't have a lot of time to weave during the week.  By the time I get home from work, take care of the Alpacas, eat dinner and love my Bears it's time to relax which either means sitting rather still and doing nothing or spinning some delicious yarn.  
 
I've been  busy knitting during lunch on a new project for a special friend.  I am going to wait until more progress is done before I share the photos since she reads my blog.  I am hoping I got the colors right and she will love it.  I created an art batt full of Autumn colors which I spun into a unique single of thick and thin which will be totally sassy in the pattern.  It's another cowl using the KellyJ  Keyed to Warmth pattern.  

Speaking of KellyJ, I also admitted defeat and I am having her block my Winter's Rhythm Caplet (re-posting photo).  The last three items I have blocked have grown.  Just when I think I have something figured out...I find I have a whole lot more to learn.  After lots of questions about how I wanted my caplet to look, she took it to be properly blocked so that the length and width are correct along with keeping the integrity of the yarn.  She tried explaining what she was going to do but my mind wandered...I will try to get her to re-explain it all to me again. (It's been one of those crazy weeks)

What did I learn this week?  Well, it's ok to ask for help. Really, I need to ask for help!  I can't do everything myself...especially if I want it done properly. The best way to learn is to ask (who knew).  Now...share your adventures in fiber arts!

Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival! 

To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:

26 comments:

  1. Hi its been nice to find you and catch up on all your knitting.

    Love all the beautiful Alpacas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weaving is lovely Andrea. I really love your shrug, those are such great colors together. Good for you, giving Kim's Mom something to do. I know she'll do a great job. I'm still loving the purse I bought at your gathering that she made. Happy Fiber Arts Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what colours you picked for the towels, I am enjoying your weaving adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that caplet! The color combo is my FAVORITE. When I knit my February Lady in green, I imagined wearing it with a purple turtle neck. Unfortunately it looks horrible when I do....argh!

    How can the blocking be such a hard part of these projects?! I'm struggling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you're asking for help with all the right things. If you don't have a love for something you're sure to do it half @$$ed which will just make you not love the item in the end.

    I haven't blocked my shawl yet either and think I might have to ask for help with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been a busy lady as always. The item you have going on you loom is super attractive,love it, can't wait to see it off the loom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Andrea! Your new cowl became so beautiful! It's on my list for the autumn!
    That knitting and crochet week has been exiting to follow!
    Thank you for your sweet comments! xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you on asking for help! It's great that you have people nearby you can ask.

    I love the colors in that capelet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you are getting some help with the dreaded sewing. Why struggle with something you dislike when there's so many fun 'fibery' things to play with!
    I'm anxious to see your towels...and also excited about your 'secret project'!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a little confused which linky you're in. Hoped over cause you're listed on FOFriday, but I don't see that, I see your fiber thing. Maybe I need to rub my eyes and drink more coffee. Love your caplet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful projects and inspirational as well.
    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting help with the sewing sounds like the right idea to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy isn't that the truth. We independant girls always have a hard time asking for help, but when we do, it's always better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good thing you asked for help so you could move on to your other projects.

    Happy Fibe Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The caplet just turned out amazing. It looks so good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like lots going on. Success is often a matter of knowing when to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're holding out on us with those towel colors - drat!

    It has been a busy bloggy week, hasn't it? I need reflection time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just got the stain for my loom... now to get it stained, then assembled... then LEARN to weave!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so busy! I love the purple and green in the caplet, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your weaving is amazing and I still absolutely love the colours in you caplet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the weaving ... I had no idea you could do that on a loom!

    I love to knit purses ... but I am awful and sewing linings. They always come apart!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you asked for help -- it frees up time to do the crafting that you love the most.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Asking for help is a great lesson to learn, especially when you have so much on your plate. I'm jealous that you can send your sewing away to be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hooray for you, what a week! I think it is great that you can ask for help...I must remember that lesson. Your Caplet is gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you ever just take a break? LOL, you are one busy gal! one of my d.i.l. would love the colors of your towel, they are in her kitchen.
    ~hugs, Faythe

    ReplyDelete