Friday, January 21, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - Time Out

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Each week Fiber Artists meet here to share their adventures in Fiber Arts.  This week I'm going to share my adventures in weaving plus the progress of the sweater I've been knitting.  For the last four months it's been in time out.  What?  A sweater that get's put in time out? What on earth did it do? Read on to find out more.

First of all, I finished the first of two fabric strips that I am weaving for my Rigid Heddle Study Group created over at the Wonder Why Alpaca Farm Ravelry Group.  Although many of us own Cricket Looms, it's open to anyone with a Rigid Heddle Loom.  This month, for our first meetup, we decided to follow the instructions inspired by the Don's Delis Blog and created a woven bag.  I am making one for myself and one for my daughter plus I want to make one for my pal, Holly.  She is one awesome lady who is constantly giving and deserves a special gift for all the wonderful she does plus now that we are both working, we never get to see each other anymore and I miss her something terrible.  We meet next Sunday to assemble our bags so I have plenty of time to get at least one more fabric piece woven but I'm not sure about the other.  That's ok though...they will all get done in due time.

I've been doing some research on what to use when carrying your Cricket Loom from place to place and the talk in the Cricket Club Ravelry Group suggested that the Land's End Large Tote was the best.  I went a step further and got the tote with the zippered top and had it personalized.  Now I can safely travel with my loom and supplies and everyone will know that it belongs to the Wonder Why Gal.  I am really digging the weaving.  Yes, warping the loom can be tedious but once that is done the fun begins.  So far I've been keeping my weaving pretty basic and just using colorwork to change the look of my weaving.  After this bag project I intend to start working on various weaving techniques.  There is so much that can be done with a rigid heddle loom.  Don't worry, I'll be sharing those adventures with you too.

I started a new job this week.  It's the first time that I've worked in a traditional office in many years.  I have to get used to the 8-5 work day and only having an hour for lunch.  Instead of starting a new project for lunchtime knitting,  I decided that I should take my sweater (started back in August) out of time out.  It wasn't bad and it wasn't being punished, I just wasn't feeling the love and with all the work that goes into knitting a sweater, I wanted to give it my best effort so it's been in a corner (Maybe I should rename it Baby, In the Corner --Ok, I'm dating myself with a Dirty Dancing reference) patiently waiting for me to work on it because, of course, no one puts Baby in the corner.  Since last Saturday I've knitted about two inches.  Not too shabby for only working on it at lunch time.  You don't realize how long it takes to eat a packed lunch until you also try to find knitting and internet time into that hour too.

I've been exhausted coming home from work getting adjusted to the new schedule so hopefully next week I can start spinning or weaving in the evenings again.  My weekends will be full of barn chores, fiber sorting and more fiber arts.  I'll have a lot of work to squeeze into my weekends to maintain my farm's productivity for sales and service but hey, I am the Wonder Why Gal so I can do it and even though I have a "day job", I am still committed to making my farm successful. It just will take a wee bit more discipline with my time management.  Now, if all that didn't exhaust you, please share your adventures in Fiber Arts this week.

Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival!

To participate:

  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:

17 comments:

  1. Your weaving is looking nice. Fiber Arts Lunch Hours at work are entertaining. I work at a pretty big company and if I try to crochet, sping, knit in the break room I find I'm spending more time explaining than doing. So now I hide in my cubby and crochet.

    Best of luck balancing the work life, farm life and fiber life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on the home stretch of finishing my first sweater. Even though I've been knitting for years, I always was intimidated to to do such a big project. Of course, the pattern I picked was filled with problems, which I couldn't have anticipated. Luckily, I emailed the designer and got help from his assistant, so I'm getting there.
    Glad I took mine out of its time out too!
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two Dirty Dancing references in my life already this morning, and it's only 7:30! What kind of sign is this??

    The sweater is lovely despite being in time out for a spell. I hope you settle in nicely to your new work routine. Thanks you for linking it up to Fibers on Friday...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sweater? Congratulations for just starting one! I don't think I have the patience to even begin one. Have a good weekend and don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for weaving and sweaters! Good luck with the day job, I hope you find time for yourself in all of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! You made it to Friday. Congratulations. It is difficult to fit in lunch, knitting and web surfing but somehow I manage to do it almost every day. Good on you for diving in and carrying on. The weaving is looking magnificent, I love the green. Be sure to leave a few minutes of YOU time every evening before your day ends and you'll keep your sanity. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am holding out on trying sweaters again...till I have a more sane moment...say 60

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your weaving project is inspiring me to think more about getting a loom! Love the projects, those stolen fiber fixes during your work day will be your saving grace. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! That weaving looks wonderful - I miss weaving carpets - now there is now way I could get handlelooms. I hope you get used to your work days. Thank you for hosting this great party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always seem to work thru lunch. Now that I think about it I have for years. Only breaking for lunch to go out with my work buddies every now and then.

    But I like the idea of fiber-ing in public. I do it at the airport a lot. There are often a lot of questions and I like to be able to share what I'm doing. Of course it helps to not be up against a deadline. ;-)

    I imagine your co-workers would eventually stop asking so many questions and may even join in.

    I see the questions as an opportunity to talk about the farm. You never know where your next client will come from, right? :-)

    Congratulations on completing your first week in a traditional office...and I'm so happy your sweater is out of time out. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm exhausted reading this! You are one busy lady, and still such a good friend and on-line support to all of us!
    I'm fascinated with weaving and was really, really hoping I would have a regid hedle loom under the tree, but didn't :(. I guess I'll just have to buy one for myself.
    I'll be stalking your progress because I know very little about weaving, and can't wait to see what all you can do with it!
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your new job! That said, it is always exhausting to start a new job. (We ate out a LOT the first month I was back at work full time.)
    Love your lunchtime knitting project - you'll be amazed at how much you can finish during a few lunches. And, while you're knitting away, you might also be surprised at how many co-workers you have that knit - and might really enjoy knitting up some of your awesome alpaca handspun... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your weaving! ::i will not start a new hobby::i will not start a new hobby::
    I have one of Lands Ends totes and they are well worth the price. Very durable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far I've resisted the weaving bug, but those Cricket looms are just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I worked in the weaving studio I was always the one called to warp on, I loved choosing colors and thinking of all the possible patterns. Now you've gone and made me miss weaving all over again! Your chosen greens are lovely.

    Today I ran a bit of a knitting marathon for myself, a challenge to get something (small) started that can easily travel with me to the Playoff games this weekend! So I cast on my very first baby sweater and worked feverishly at a very large wrap as well. Good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The weaving is looking good, can't wait to see it made up into a bag. Hope the new job is going well

    ReplyDelete
  17. you have inspired mr to get my loom fixed I need new heddles & ropes and good cleaning

    ReplyDelete