Friday, January 28, 2011

Fiber Arts Friday - June in January

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  Each week Fiber Artists from around the world meet here to share their adventures in Fiber Arts.  So...what are you waiting for?  Link your Fiber Arts Blog in and share in the fun.  If you visit, please leave a comment.  We bloggers crave comments and followers.

This week we celebrated June in January here in Battle Creek.  What?  Your calendar doesn't have it on there?  Well, too bad because at Your Local Yarn Shop we celebrated the union of two of our favorite local fiber artists. Pattern Writer and Knit Doctor Extraordinaire, KellyJ, and one of our favorite dyers, Jill June of Studio June, have collaborated for Kelly's newest pattern, Winter's Rhythm using Jill's gorgeous hand dyed Squishy Soft Worsted Yarn.  They debuted the new pattern and yarn colors with a special discount for shoppers who attended the event on Wednesday evening.  I, of course, made a bee line for the store straight from work and was greeted by a yarn shop packed full of many friendly faces all eager to check out Jill's new colors and Kelly's amazing pattern.  Wait!  Did you say it's not fair that you don't live locally or just plain weren't able to make the event?  Don't worry because they are so awesome that they are letting you purchase the kit at the grand opening discount through February 5th through this link - Winter's Rhythm Kit.  Oh yeah, there is going to be a KAL (Knit A Long) for this Caplet too.  Really, if you aren't on Ravelry, you had better be because we have lots of buzz going on over there.  I plan to participate in this KAL and I am very excited for it to begin in a month.  Argh!  A month?  That's like...a month away. 
I decided to grab the Avocado and Burgundy yarn for my project.  Look how sassy that Avocado looks.  Ok, how awesome it looks on me.  Really, I do rock those colors, don't I?  We'll find out soon because the KAL starts in March and I plan to be at the yarn shop every Friday cranking away on my caplet.

I wanted to finish my sweater that I blogged about last week.  You remember, Baby in the Corner.  Well, Baby has been getting a bit of TLC this week and I've managed to get two to four rows knitted a day. Ok, that's not a lot but really it is.  There is a lot of stitches in one row plus I'm trying to eat and catch up on internet during the one hour I get for lunch at work.  I made a few calculations and this is how long I figure it's going to take to finish Baby.  I've knitted about six inches from the armpit.  My favorite sweater that I'm using as a guideline is 17 inches from the armpit which means that I have 11 inches to go.  Now...my knitting gauge is about five rows per inch which means that I need about 55 rows (give or take).  That being said, at the rate I'm knitting (not including any possible evening or weekend knit time) I should reach the bottom in about...a month?  Also, I've knitted almost five of those six inches in the last two weeks.  As a disclaimer, all of my math skills are from Homer, Michigan and I will leave it at that.  So...knowing that I will knit on my sweater more than just at lunch, I predict I may possibly get my sweater done before I start the Winter's Rhythm.  Maybe?  Ok, I will!  Whew!  As usual, I've been a busy gal.  Do I still live up to the name, Wonder Why Gal?  I had better!  Stay tuned for next week because I am meeting up with a few of my local fiber friends this Sunday for our first Rigid Heddle Weaving Study Group so I'll have some weaving to share.  Now share your adventures in Fiber Arts!

Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival! 
To participate:
  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:




24 comments:

  1. Ooo that yarn looks yummy. Sometimes I hate reading blogs in the US cos the yarn looks so nice and we can't get it here waaaaah! I know we could order it but the delivery charges and the tax is hideously expensive and I'm not that rich. So I shall just look longingly at the screen and remind myself that we have Fyberspates here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I stuffed up the first link so I added a second. Sorry about that. Love your blog. I used to live in Coldwater, Michigan before I moved to the UK. Wish I knit back then, because the yarn is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you were out and about in your new shawl! Lookin' good lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea--You look so pretty in the photo with the yarn...great lipstick color on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those yarn colors are yummy! You definitely rock those colors. I can't wait for Sunday either. We are going to have a rockin good time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, I love Jill June's yarn, so vibrant and she always has those luxurious ones when I see her at festivals. Your new yarn combo is very nice and I think it'll look great on you. The piece you're wearing in that pic is definitely you too! Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Fibre Arts Friday Andrea:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice avocado colored yarn! I like the shawl you are wearing too. Happy FAF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes!! Wonderful Avocado color! Love it. I may have to consider the KAL :-) I have nothing planned for March yet! Let me fill my calendar with knitting plans!! I think I'm going to Felt in February!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowee! It's not even 9AM and look at how many of us have checked in to Fiber Arts Friday!
    Just waking up, so I'll just say hi and wish every one a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow is right
    I'm surprised to see all the very early risers my self. June in January what cool consept..think spring right

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do rock those colors, great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great project and good on you for the sweater knitting, that's a big job! P.S. You're the best, thank you so much for all your kind words, you really make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Good you please enjoy that your local yarn shop and all those lovely yarns for me too!!! Here in my one tiny local shop I have difficulties to find something want or need...
    That green yarn looks so beautiful, it's one of my favorite colours!
    Thank you again for hosting Friday! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll definitely check out that KAL! Love that avocado yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous colours and good work on the sweater. Definately still the Wonder Why Gal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally love those colors. I would probably never have picked up those two colors together, so it's great to see someone combine things I wouldn't think to combine. They're so great together and you DO rock those colors! (Caryn = Hellchick)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Yes, I am totally loving my orange speckled cowl. The lipstick is Mary Kay. I've been wearing it for years.

    Hey, join the KAL. On Ravelry they give you all the instructions and the pattern even tells you what yarns you need in case you don't want to by the Studio June yarn. I know a couple of people who are using their stash for the KAL. Just saying...we could incorporate it into Fiber Arts Friday.

    Finally...thank you to everyone who joins in the fun every week. I enjoy all of your blogs and the comments that are left. I've learned so much from all of you and this is the reason I look forward to Fridays every week.

    Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, I made it on the blog. My fiber arts Friday was a little different this year. I spent the day doing inventory at YLYS!!!

    It was really pretty great becuase I was able to see all the lovely yarns I've been overlooking.

    It was good to see you on Wednesday and I'm looking forward to the KAL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. http://ecleticlife.blogspot.com/2011/01/christmas-presents-all-done.html
    This is my most recent accomplishments. I also had fun playing with the Noddy my dh made me for Christmas. thanks for having a place to share our fun work.
    A good weekend to all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Andrea!

    You left a question on my blog, so i thought I'd answer it here to make sure you got it.

    "Question: Do you find that your gauge is wonky at first when you switch from the sock knitting to the sweater? I feel like I knit so tight on the tiny needles but am pretty relaxed and "looser" on the bigger needles...sometimes too loose until I get my groove. Just curious."

    ~I haven't found that my gauge is wonky when I switch back and forth. Oh yes, I knit tight on my socks, and the sweater is so loose just by virtue of the pattern and the yarn and needles, but I feel it's working out fine. We'll see when I finish the sweater...I hope I'm not messing it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I came by this blog from a friend's blog. Here is hoping I can join the fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete