Tuesday, November 23, 2010

DPN - More Knitting Jargon

DPN aka Double Pointed Needles have been hard for me to knit with.  I'm envious of friends that can whip of a multitude of projects, especially socks, using DPN's.  I prefer using circular needles when knitting in the round.  I've decided that my resistance to using Double Pointed Needles, isn't for any other reason than I'm not coordinated.  Yes, it's true, I'm not coordinated.  I really feel like I'm tripping over myself when trying to use them.

So far the only time I've had to use DPN's in knitting is when I am decreasing on a hat which actually hasn't been terrible since I already have the bulk of the hat done. Easing into the use of DPN's has been pretty smooth and giving me the courage to attempt other projects using them instead of two circs.  I really do love watching my friends use their tiny DPN's and work the magic on their socks.  Of course, my fascination with hand knitted socks is really the driving force of DPN's but, if it gets me to try another technique then all the better.

Brother Bear wore me down last night and I cranked about 20 rows out on his Owl using DPN's.  I would have used two circs but...I only had one Size 6 needle since I have about a bazillion hats going right now and needed two.  I got out my DPN's and cast on.

I will tell you that I tore apart my knitting a few times last night (again, the coordination issue) but I finally got my groove and once I completed a few rows and had a wee bit of structure I was doing good.

My resolution (for the next few small projects) is to use DPN's while knitting in the round so that I can truly feel comfortable with the process and the coordination.  I will even try using different sizes.  Who knows, I might even revisit Magic Loop next.  Ok, that was a bit much, wasn't it?  Tehehe

I resist change and prefer to keep my comfort zone but if I want to grow as a knitter then I need to try different types of needles, stitches, techniques, yarns and patterns.  If it doesn't work out, I can always tear back.  Whoa!  Did I just say that?  I never look back...yeah, I said it (another sign that I'm ready to grow as a knitter).

9 comments:

  1. Good for you trying new things! DPNs are a struggle for everyone at the beginning of projects. They seem to flop all around. But once you get a bit of structure it gets easier. Let me know if you need any help! {Hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer circulars as well and just finished a hat. It's not that I'm not coordinated for the DPN,s but on occasion my knitting has fallen off !! Not good! I currently have a couple of projects in the works and one is a pair of socks on DPN's, which is temporarily on hold so that I can knit up some Christmas Gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to tackle the dreaded DPN's and don't see me braving them any time soon! I have some lovely sock yarn sitting and waiting, but those DPN's just scare me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The owl is looking good! I love dpns, find magic loop a fiddly PITA and two circulars means you need two of all the circulars. Everyone is different- do what makes you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true - dpns work best when you already have some of the project started (like for the top of a hat). But, once you get used to starting out with that whole wrestling an octopus feeling, it really does get easier each time.
    Kudos to you for breaking out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find them to be fiddly in the beginning... though I'm no expert as I'm still on that first sock project. It seems like it takes me about 5 minutes to get out of my own way whenever I pick the sock back up. You can do it though! Love to hear about our creative growth process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes we just need to take the plunge and try new things or things we think may be tricky. I think i need to step out of my comfort zone and try some new techniques. I have to admit that i'm bit rusty though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the DPNS! I am comfortable with those but its using two circular that I get myself in a tangle with :-) You know what they say....practice makes perfect and it looks lovely to me!

    ReplyDelete