Friday, October 15, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday - Kazoo Yarnies

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!  This is a wonderful place to share your adventures in Fiber Arts and learn from other Fiber Artists who are learning, living and loving everything about the various forms of Fiber Arts.

This week I'm sharing with you my first get together with the Kazoo Yarnies.  Oh, they've been meeting for quite some time but this was my first time attending one of their get-togethers.  Beth aka LoonGirl who heads up the group has been getting some great guest speakers to talk and sometimes even demonstrate and this week Barb Marr from Marr Haven Wool Farm in Allegan, Michigan was going to speak about felting so I had to go! The gathering didn't disappoint!  I had a great time, met some new people and learned a new felting technique from Barb.
Loongirl is an amazing woman and she has created a great way to bring knitters from all over together to share and enjoy each other's company.  Knitamazoo is showing off one of my newest felted creations I made.  It's called the Ode to Mad Hatter and I'm not sure if I'm going to sell that hat...because I love it!
 
 
Some of the ladies came to knit while others came to learn from Barb.  I have to admit, I wasn't the best student because I was out of my seat visiting quite a bit and I hope I didn't disrupt.  I tried to be quite, honestly, I did. While we were there, Barb demonstrated how to make a phone case and also unvailed her newest roving which she is calling a Mystery Roving since it has a variety of fibers in it. Oh, where were we?  Erbelli's in Kalamazoo!  I loved the restaurant!  The service was excellent but more importantly, they had a gluten free pizza crust.  Yes, you read correctly.  I was able to eat pizza with my friends.

So that was my evening out with the Kazoo Yarnies.  I plan on spending more time with these ladies.  I had intended on posting photos of all the felted hats and shawls I've made the last month too but...it was a busy week.  I'll be at Fiber Expo in Ann Arbor, October 23 and 24 so I've been preoccupied restocking my inventory after Fiber Fest.  Photos to come before I sell my creations.  Now...share your adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival!

To participate:

  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!   
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these wonderful blogs:

17 comments:

  1. Kalamazoo might just be the best place name ever. And knititng, felting and pizza to top it off- looks like a fun evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to find some yarnies around me. Your nights out look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I finally made Fiber Arts Friday! Thanks for sharing the pics from Tuesday night. I'm so glad you made it, it was great seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to find some local yarnies too. I might try to start my own group.
    LOVE the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great time Andrea. Love that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the hat! It looks like a great group, I can see why you enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! That looks like something I would love to learn about. And that pizza! One of my favorite foods.

    Have a great weekend.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, fun, food AND fiber....what a great combination.
    Kathleen
    http://www.firefliesandfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently joined a knittin group. I've only made two sessions so far, but boy is it a good time.

    Congratulations on finding gluten-free pizza in the wild. How very exciting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is exactly why I need to find a local group of knitters or crocheters... This looks like so much fun. So glad you were able to get pizza too! Bonus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for Fiber Friends! That's what my post is about this week, too! :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  12. The two woman who are my closest friends, I met through fiber! Looks like a great group!
    Now if they could only serve a lactose-free pizza in Buffalo, NY!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello!! I'm a total knitting newbie, and not sure I'm qualified to be part of the Carnival! Hope it's okay that I signed up!! I would so love to have a group of knitters to get together with and learn from! Sounds like you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone -
    I belong to a few different knitting/spinning/fiber arts groups in my area. The beauty of that is that every group has a different meet up time/location that works for everyone. Beth created the Kazoo Yarnies with a goal in mind. I created the Fiber Arts Group of Wonder (I really need a better name) because I rarely leave my farm. It gives me a chance to knit/spin with friends and they get a taste of the farm life. Win/Win If you can't find a group that fits your needs then create your own. You'll be surprised how many people in your area are looking for Fiber Friends just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What she said!

    Whether you are a beginner or an experienced knitter/crocheter/spinner, gathering together in a group is a fabulous way to share, learn, and have a great time. If you want to start your own group, pick a location and time, then post a sign in a couple of yarn shops to get things started.

    Many local shops already have groups that meet. I chose to disassociate from any specific local shop so group members wouldn't feel any buying obligations and could freely share information. Sometimes groups run their own informal "classes" - quickie sessions on how to do stitch-y things, which might conflict with a local shop's classes.

    Also, get on Ravelry and find a local group. They are out there, and you'll be glad you did. Just go - don't be shy! I participate in several local groups just as Andrea does, and they all are uniquely different (and fun!). I love my knitting friends!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would of gone just for the pizza alone because I love pizza. All joking aside it most of been amazing to learn from Berb and her skills.

    ReplyDelete