Thursday, September 30, 2010

Art Prize 2010 - JA Felt

Yesterday, while in Grand Rapids, I had the pleasure of visiting Art Prize.  My mission was to see the amazing felt creation that Janice Arnold of JA Felt created.  Although, I did visit a bunch of other exhibits, her creation is what I wanted to see and it didn't disappoint.

As soon as I walked into the GRAM I was memorized by the colors and texture of the felted exhibit.  I posted the YouTube video of her creating this masterpiece but seeing it in person made the experience so much more rewarding.

I was excited to see her just outside of the passage working on more to add to her large scale creation.  She was busy talking to visitors so I watched and listened as she and her helpers worked.  A few ladies standing nearby were asking each other a bunch of questions.  They had no clue how felting worked so I turned and said, "Hi, I'm Andrea and I own the Wonder Why Alpaca Farm just South of Battle Creek, I'd be happy to explain felting and fiber to you!"  Anyone who knows me can also picture a bounce and bubble to that statement.  As I was finishing explaining fibers, roving, and everything fascinating about fiber I turned to see the artist, herself, watching and listening to me.   Of course I turned to her and said, "Hi, I'm Andrea and I own the Wonder Why Alpaca Farm just South of Battle Creek!"  I then went on to tell her that I recently began my adventures in Felting thanks to Fiber Fest and amazing instructors like Suzanne Higgs of Hooked on Felt.  She told me I could help her with felting today and I wanted to so much but I had the dreaded appointment which brought me to Grand Rapids to go to plus a family and farm at home.

So...if you live in or near Grand Rapids, check her exhibit out!  Oh, and check out all of the other amazing artists and exhibits too.  Really, Art Prize allows the general public a chance to experience Art in a fun way.



2 comments:

  1. Great opportunity for you - and good job on the marketing! xoxox

    ReplyDelete