Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Amy's Tofu Scramble - Food Review

While shopping at Sawall's, I picked up a couple of frozen Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free meals to see if I would like them because it's always good to have something readily available when you are on the go.
 Today I tried Amy's Tofu Scramble with Hash Browns & Veggies.  This was the first time I have ever tried something with Tofu...it wasn't terrible.
As you can see from the price tag, this frozen meal cost $5.89 which is pricey but so is everything else that is healthy for you.  I was apprehensive about trying this but...I have been surprised by how well many of the foods I tried have actually been good so I put on my adventurous smile and to the microwave I went.
 I tried the hash browns first and they were ok for being reheated hash browns.  Next was actually tasting the tofu eggs.  They weren't bad.  They actually had the texture and taste of scrambled eggs.  Hooray.  Uh Oh!  What is that?  Oh, paca poo, there's mushrooms in the mix and I'm not supposed to eat mushrooms due to the fact that they are unbelievably nasty and cause me to gag plus I'm really allergic to them.  All these years I told people I was allergic to them and I really am.  See, I told you so!

I picked through the mushrooms and ate the rest of the meal.  It's my own fault, not theirs.  I was so intent on looking for the lack of wheat, gluten, dairy and yeast that I totally overlooked mushrooms because no sane person puts mushrooms in the mix.  Yeah, I'm disrespecting mushrooms...Whatever.  Anyways, I've decided that if this company makes another version of this meal without mushrooms I will buy it and use it for an emergency fast meal.

This Wonder Why Gal gives this product a thumbs up and a cheesy photo!  Lucky you!  Now no one asked me to review this product nor did I go begging to review so I could get something for free.  I bought it, ate it and now am sharing my reaction for the greater good of mankind.  I think I will try some other tofu products now because I really miss eggs and the store had some tofu egg substitutes. 

I will try to post more of my findings for those of you who are in the same boat as me because I don't want anyone else to wander aimlessly through the aisles of a grocery store sobbing for the foods they can no longer have.  My new motto, "Focus on what you are gaining, not on what you are losing."

Oh, one final note.  Since I started my new healthy eating regime, I have lost 24lbs. That's right, in one month with no killer exercise workouts and no starving myself to deal, I have lost weight.  It's amazing what happens when you quit eating processed foods.  Thank you to my friends who have helped me shop, gave me recipes and all around moral support.  I'm not promising that I won't have a temper tantrum or two as I still battle the urge to eat whatever whenever but I've made it this far...I can do it!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, it's sooo hard to change lifelong eating habits. I KNOW I'm reacting to dairy (itchy/flaky scalp, weird skin rash on my eyelid) but I continue to live in denial. I did a 2 week cleanse in January and felt sooo much better (no dairy, gluten, sugar, ). I'm starting to think I need to really make the change. Do you need recipes? If yes, send me your email address...I've got a few good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! And I agree on the mushrooms, nasty things

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy's does make some really good "fast foods" - I've noticed they often have different varieties of their dishes, so perhaps you will be able to find one without mushrooms :)
    24 pounds !?! That's awesome! You look great!

    ReplyDelete