Friday, August 27, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday - Fiber Fest, Where Wisdom Begins

Finally, with my camera found I can share with you my Fiber Fest Memories this week for Fiber Arts Friday.  This Wonder Why Gal was full of questions and surprisingly kept the mouth shut so the knowledge from others could be absorbed...ok, I tried to keep my mouth shut. It was a week full of classes and new friendship along with new skills.  I learned how to felt hats, shawls and scarves from three different classes with three different instructors which allowed me to learn three different techniques.
My Gossamar Scarf.  Looks great with my Tour de Fleece t-shirt.
My favorite class was learning how to make a hat. Maybe it's because I'm a hat person but everything about that class was amazing from the instructor, Suzanne Higgs, to the great group of classmates.
Token Male, I think not!  He defied the norm and created an amazing unique hat!
While wondering out and about the fairgrounds, I decided which classes I want to take next year.  "But what if we don't offer these same classes next year?"  Well, Fiber Fest has to because I want to them. (said while I was stomping my feet in tantrum)
My Hat Class!  Look at all the different styles using the same fiber/same techniques.
So, what else do I want to learn in regards to classes at Fiber Fest?

Weaving!

Tiny Object Weaving! (technical wonder term)

Dyeing!

More dyeing...

Back to that weaving...doesn't Melissa look Rock Star in the head gear? 
Another great reason to weave with itsy bitsy beads.
More dyeing and felting techniques.

Here are some photos from my shawl and scarf classes.

Oh, wait...I did mention friendship, didn't I?  If you are camping during Fiber Fest there are lots of opportunities to volunteer.  I spent some time helping campers get checked in with Alpaca friends and knitting friends.  One of my favorite knitting friends, Terry Smith, was at Fiber Fest all week and I always enjoy talking with her.  It was great to lunch or just visit while we worked.  Plus, being there all week you are bound to run into the same people throughout.  I was hanging with people are are up and coming vendors like myself and some published fiber artists.

ooooh, I forgot to add one important animal pic yesterday...sheep herding.  It was neat to see the dogs get the sheep from point A to point B.
On the farm, we herd by saying, "Paca, Paca, Paca!" Really, it gets them to the barn every time!
Finally...Saturday and Sunday arrived which meant I could sell my Wonder Yarn and Wonder Roving...look at my set up.  Awesome, isn't it?  Yes, I had to modify my usual booth space because it was only 8 feet wide but it didn't stop customers from check out the Wonder of Alpacas.
Booth of Wonder in the Animal Barn
I wish that my photos would speak volumes about the amazing experiences I had at Fiber Fest.  My head is still spinning from all the fiber I touched, felted, knitted, spun and sold.  It was truly a magical week.  I hope that I meet some of these people again.  One lady that I really enjoyed taking not one but two classes with had the best compliment to give me.

"If I had a daughter, she'd be just like you!"  This was as we giggled and laughed in our second class together.  Fiber Arts is an adventure that I'm glad I'm not making alone. Every person I meet has an interesting story to help me learn and love the new skill and I hope I give them that gift in return.  I already have my calendar marked for next year's Fiber Fest.  I hope I can camp, volunteer, take classes, shop and sell again because this Wonder Why Gal is ready to absorb some more techniques, make new friends and let new customers find me.  So...share with us your adventures in Fiber Arts this week!
Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival!

To participate:

  1. Submit your blog article using your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!  (That's my blog) 
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!
Check out these Wonderful Blogs:

7 comments:

  1. Great post! Looks like you had a blast! Our Finger Lakes Fiber Festival is coming up soon. I hope I Can head over to check things out this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonder-full week. It was great to see you on Saturday. I've been petting my new fiber and dreaming about the day that I can spin some pretty yarn with it. Happy Fiber Arts Friday everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. It must have been incredible to spend so much time being creative, learning new things and making new friends.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a wonder-ful time.

    ... and what a great compliment from your new friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible week! It sounds like Michigan knows how to put on a fiber fest! I recognize Carol Leigh's Frame loom. I have the large rectangle and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn - Those are Carol's. In my excitement I forgot to write that down. She is super nice. I got to help set up the looms on the first day and later in the week I bought one of her natural dye kits so I can start to experiment with that. I hope she returns to Fiber Fest next year because her last newsletter said that once her book is complete she is going to slow down on the festivals...please not until I've taken her class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so amazing! I'm so jealous. I have yet to attend a really big fiber festival and take a bunch of classes. I REALLY want to go to SOAR but it's not in the cards this year -- too busy getting married the month before it! Ahh, well. Awesome update!

    ReplyDelete