Friday, February 26, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday - Learn to Fly

This week's Fiber Arts Friday post is a bit different for me because I am writing it on Tuesday but won't post until Friday.  Why?  Well, I am going to be out of town all week with internet.  Dum, Dum, Dum...that's the sound of doom.  My life revolves around my laptop but not this week.

I am at a Fiber Sorting/Grading Seminar led by Course Broads, Inc.  I am going to learn how to properly sort and grade alpaca fiber for mill and for show fleeces plus I am going learn all there is to know about the micron of fiber.  What is Micron?

I am copying this from Yocum McCall, where I get my fiber tested each year.  It's copyrighted but I am giving them credit so...I think it's ok.  I hope it's ok.  Here it is, so it must be ok.


By: Yocum-McColl Laboratories
Copyright: 2004 Yocum-McColl Laboratories
Fiber Diameter Measurement and Distribution
Fiber diameter is measured in microns. One micron is equal to 1/1,000,000thof a meter
or 1/25,400th of one inch. Mean Fiber Diameter (MFD) is in common use internationally.
MFD, Standard Deviation (SD) and Coefficient of Variation (CV) all relate to the
(approximate) normal distribution of the animal fiber diameters. SD characterizes
dispersion of individual measurements around the mean.
In a normal population, 66% of the individual values lie within one SD of the mean, 95%
within two SD's and 99% within 2.6 SD's. Since SD tends to increase with increasing MFD,
some people prefer to use CV (=SD*100MFD) as a method of comparing variably about
different sized means.
Copyright 2004 Yocum-McColl Laboratories


It's a long-winded explanation but it is complicated. 
At the end of this seminar, I will begin my journey to become a certified grader/sorter.  What does this mean?  Well, farms will be able to hire me to come sort their fiber for mill processing.  I will have the ultimate understanding of what I am doing with my fiber which will help in my fiber production and my farm's breeding decisions.


It won't be all fun and games.  There is a lot of study involved.  I will have to sort an insane amount of huacaya and suri fleeces in the next year so neighboring farms will have an opportunity to get their fiber sorted/graded at a discount.

Next week I will have tons of information and pictures to share with you.  Until then, please enjoy my new Fiber Arts Friday Buttons.  I have one at the side of my page and here are a couple more.
 
 


Now, I want to hear what you have been doing all week.  Share your adventures in fiber arts!


Now, for this week.  Please share you adventures in Fiber Arts!
Fiber Arts Friday Blog Carnival!

To participate:

  1. Submit your blog article to the next edition of fiber arts friday using our carnival submission form. Remember to submit your current blog address NOT your complete blog  i.e. you would submit 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/e-i-e-i-doh.html  
NOT 
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com
  1. Link back to Fiber Arts Friday from your post so that your readers can come and see everyone else’s projects! Text link to  WISDOM BEGINS IN WONDER!  A button of wonder will come soon for you to display.
  2. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what helps us all connect!

Check out these cool blogs: 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds challenging! I look forward to hearing more about your seminar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're enjoying your seminar!
    The buttons look great - I'm off to add one to my blog right now -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hope your seminar is going great. Sorry Mr. Linky messed me up and I posted twice. Technology...Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a great weekend and learn tons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time I see you, I want to hear all about this seminar. It sounds awesome!

    I did the Friday Fiber Arts thing, even though my blog is locked down to invite only. I hope that counts--I think it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what you are doing is just fantastic! You are going to learn so much useful information that you will be able to use with Alpaca and all other fibers too. Good for you! I can't wait until next week to find out what you learned and to see lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete