Saturday, December 5, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love


Rex E Anderson
January 15, 1947 - December 5, 2009
Father, Grandfather, Brother and Friend

Today my dad passed into Heaven surrounded by family.  We surrounded his bedside and we told him we loved him then I leaned down layed my head on his chest and I told him everything I needed to tell him and everything that everyone needed to tell him.  I told him that I loved him and that I will always love him.  I told him that I will take care of my family and do my best to get along with my siblings and that I will strive to be the best person that I can be.

Dad, Handsome as always at a Wedding 196?
I told him that I love him and that this world was a better place because he had been a part of it.
 
Aunt Linda, Dad and Aunt Janet along with their dog, King
Tomorrow we will meet with the funeral home to set up a memorial service.  As soon as I have definite details I will post. I can tell you that it will be a Masonic Memorial Service with a meal afterward at the Homer VFW.  Two things my father was proud of was his Masonic Heritage and his Military Service.  He will be buried at Fort Custer Veteran's Cemetery.

Aunt Linda, Dad and Aunt Janet 
Before Dad went into the Air Force 

The other thing I can tell you, if you haven't already guessed, is that he love every second that he had his lung transplant.  Even through the infections and rejection, he marveled at the blessing he was given when he received the Gift of Life.  If you would like to honor his memory, please sign up to be a organ donor.  I can't stress how much the last 6 1/2 have meant to our family.  The Gift of Life Michigan gave us time with my father than is so precious and will be forever imprinted into my heart and memories.

So, tomorrow afternoon I will post all the details.

I can't thank friends and family enough for the love and support that he received, especially these last couple of days.  We had no clue that his time in hospice care would be so short but he was knew everyone who came to visit him and everyone who was there talked with him and remembered fond memories.  We laughed  and we cried but most of all we loved. 

We loved a man who has been a father, a brother, and grandfather and most of all a friend to all of us.  We loved a man who has inspired us in some way or another to be a better person.  We loved a man who will forever be a part of each and every one of us because of his kindness, his virtues, his laughter and his love.

Please, go to you Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, Daughter, Son and tell them you love them.  Time on this earth is precious.  I had the opportunity to tell the man that gave me life and molded me into the person I am all of the things I wanted to say.  I will forever cherish my last "slumber party" with him.  Last night I barely slept as I listened to his breathing get weaker and weaker.  Every time I would check on him I told him I loved him and he didn't have to fight anymore. Most importantly, I was able to tell him and he heard me.

Out of the mouth of babes:  My three year old niece came into the room last night so that my dad could see all the grand kids (mine and my brothers had already been there) and that ladybug pointed at her Papa and said, "Grandpa Anderson is going to Heaven and he's going to be my Angel."

Yes, my little ladybug, your Papa is going to be one busy angel keeping a watch over all of us.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing - he sounds like a wonderful man. It is a blessing that you all were able to be with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am letting the tears fly for you. What a wonderfully devoted Daughter you have been to what had to have been one amazing man. It is such a shame that he lost this battle but having the 6 1/2 was a generous gift. I feel so much for you right now..pain, sadness and joy. Your niece couldn't be more correct..your Dad's new job as an angel watching over you all will be a joyous full time job!

    Love you and I am so very sorry for your loss.

    MaLinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, your dad was a wonderful man. He was a blessing to this world and all of us, and his memory will continue to bless this world. Much can be learned from him. I am amazed at his faith in God and how he's dealt with all of his misfortune with such grace and trust in God. It makes me want to deepen my faith and trust in God, so that I am able to weather the unfairness that this world sometimes presents with peace in my heart and knowing that God has a plan for all of us.

    You are a wonderful daughter and person. What a joyful spirit you have, and I am so happy that you are able to smile through the tears as you remember your dad. You have been blessed as well with the opportunity to properly say goodbye and all the things you always wanted to say. So many of us lose loved ones so quickly and that opportunity is missed.

    He will be an Angel.

    Praying for you in the difficult time.

    Love,
    Amity

    ReplyDelete