Thursday, October 22, 2009

I Think I Can, I Think I Can


Cast on, baby!  Yeah!

Last night I met up with the healthy Battle Creek portion of the Zombie Prom Date Knitters at the Barnes and Noble in the Lakeview Square Mall where we meet once a month to knit. 

I had debated about going because the Greater Battle Creek Area has been infested with the dreaded H1N1 Flu Virus nka Zombie Flu.(I made that up, by the way but feel free to start using it)  I armed myself with Clorox Wipes, Death Threats to all sick people and my knitting needles because I wanted to start knitting my Sassy Eyelet Cap that I fell in love with in the Fall issue of Vogue Knitting.


I was trying to work out ways that I could meet up with KnitWithSnot so we can work through the pattern together but her 3 Pigs and my 2 Bears have been home due to all the area schools closing down to fight the Zombie Flu and SpinSanity was going to be at BN which meant that I would have AWESOME teaching me how to knit in the round, read a new pattern and understand some new knitting terms without the possibly of cross-contaminating the Vicksburg strain and the Harper Creek strain of the Zombie Flu. 

You see, I have only been knitting since March and I am still a MAJOR...novice (what did you think I was going to say? Pain in the butt?  Well, it depends on where you're sitting...get it?  bahahaha) at knitting.


Well, as usual, SpinSanity didn't fail me and I have officially cast on using my homespun yarn grown right here on the Wonder Why Alpaca Farm!  This is a two ply yarn I'm calling Haze's Autumn Breeze since the yarn came from my boy, Baronson's Haze and my girl, Sugar Breeze.  First I want to start by saying that Vogue Knitting says this is a VERY EASY Pattern.  Well, yeah, if you already know how to knit on the round, read patterns, understand instructions and abbreviations along with knowing how to create certain stitches.  Apparently, VERY EASY is a term that an experienced knitter created.  NEVER FEAR!  Remember, I surround myself with AWESOME so I sat next to SpinSanity and she walked me through the paces.

First she corrected the way that I was casting on.  See, we started at the VERY BEGINNING.  I knitted and I purled then she showed me how to INTENTIONALLY YO(yarn over), since I have been unintentionally doing it for the last few months and apparently I have also been intentionally VI (visable increase) too.  Go figure, well now I understand how my scarves that should have 15 stitches end up with 19. 

It took two hours of quite concentration.  Yes, I WAS QUITE.  Apparently in order for my brain to work my mouth needs to be shut.  I completed 11 lines of the pattern.  Whew!  This is not going to be a VERY EASY project for me but once I finish it will be AWESOME and I will have learned a whole lot which I will be able to apply to future projects.

Again, I am totally pleased because I have also chosen to use my own yarn instead of store bought.  My husband thinks I am wasting my beautiful suri yarn on a project that I might make mistakes on.  Geez!  I told him that what better yarn for me to use.  I took so much pride in raising these alpaca, processing their fiber and spinning it.  Now wouldn't I take even greater care not to vary from the pattern so that I can do my WONDER YARN justice?  Of course!

So...there will be a lot of silence at the Wonder Farm while I'm concentrating on my newest knitting project.  All you will hear is the glorious hum of the alpaca grazing in the pasture and the chant of "I think I can, I think I can...buzzing through my head."

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see it!! And you should be chanting "I know I can, I know I can . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very proud of you! Also a little sad. Spinny has taken all my bad habits out of your knitting and replaced it with actual skill.

    Alas, I'll be asking you for knitting tips...

    Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing the finished result. Great job! - MaLinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to live in the Frozen Tundra and learn to knit with AWESOME! You guys have such a great group. Jealous! But very glad ya'll let me start my own Southern ZPDK Chapter. Now I just need to whip some crazy into my girls!

    Keep us posted w/pics of your progress. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to make that hat since I got the fall issue, too.
    You can do it! Can't wait to see the finished hat -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pattern looks very cool, and your yarn is beautiful!! You should be very proud! Good luck with the knitting and the new skills. The best part of these new skills is being able to pass them on to another novice in a few years. Isn't it amazing that with all the knitting books and how to's this is still a craft best learned by watching and listening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so cool. I'm a novice knitter too, but so far I've lacked your enthusiasm to try new and VERY EASY things. You are well on your way to being a fab knitter! Fortitude is your middle name. Go girl.

    ReplyDelete