Sunday, June 7, 2009

Confetti, maiden no more


Today is the day that we take Confetti Reigns up to Wind Walker to spend a few weeks. No, it's not summer camp. She is going there to be bred to Chief Grey Ghost. Alpacas gestate for 11-11 1/2 months so we will breed her now for a May birth. We don't want to have a birth too early in the spring due to the cold Michigan springs and if we wait until the heat of the summer you can have issues with stress and body temps so here in Michigan breedings primarily take place in June and October.

I want to build a gray program but more importantly I want to build an exceptional program regardless of color.

The worst part is that I just got her home and now she will be away from me for a month. I can't wait until I can have the herdsire come to me...next year, I hope. I am new to all of this and I know I am placing myself in the right hands having Wind Walker work with her on her conception time and also as she makes it through her first month of pregnancy to make sure she is indeed pregnant...but it still doesn't make me missing my girl any better.

So it's not goodbye, it's see you soon my sweet, beautiful Confetti Reign. The Wonder Why Family is going to miss you something awful this next month.


Ok, as I end my melodrama I should add that my Sugar Breeze still hasn't had her first cria so I will be making the visit to Wind Walker very soon to see our new cria and many visits there after to see my cria and also make the choice of who we re-breed Sugar to. She is currently due with Grey Ghost's cria so I will have two of his offspring. If I like what I see, I will re-breed her to Grey Ghost. Hmmmmm, now if she would just have that cria!

1 comment:

  1. The dirty, dirty world of Wonder Why Alpaca Farm!!!

    ReplyDelete